Thanksgiving in Peru


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Arequipa
November 26th 2004
Published: November 26th 2004
Edit Blog Post

We are in Peru! From San Pedro de Atacama, Chile, it took 20+ hours by bus. All of which was through the desert. After hundreds of miles of rock and mountains of sand, it was nice to be off a bus once again an settle into the oasis, Arequipa. We are becoming experts in bus traveling. Snacks, book trading, passport flashing, bus bingo, its an artform really.

We did see the cast and crew of the Amazing Race filming on the street where are hostel is. The contestants were busy trying to find the quickest way to Buenos Aires, the camera man bought his refrigerator magnet, I was doing some holiday shopping, everyone was happy. Must see tv.

The highlight of our Arequipa visit was our excursion to the Colca Canyon. Twice as deep as the Grand Canyon (didnt look like it), it is surrounded by pre-Inca terraces, villages and volcanoes. Really beautiful, amazing that 45%!o(MISSING)f the terraces are still being used. We also were shown the proper way to chew coca leaves to help with altitude sickness. With coca tea, candy, and leaves, 16,000 feet was like kittens in Cleveland.

After getting back to Arequipa from our Colca Canyon excursion, we decided to go out for Thanksgiving feast. Since there was not much hope for finding turkey, nevermind stuffing and sweet potatoes with marshmallow, we decided to go traditional Peruvian. Restaurant Ary Quepay was ready for us. I had deep fried (whole, teeth tongue claws and all!) guinea pig, and Suzy had a potato dish. The guinea pig did really taste like a more delicious fried chicken, although the roadkill style presentation was questionable.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.165s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0807s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb