Juanita the Ice Princess


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Arequipa
November 27th 2004
Published: November 27th 2004
Edit Blog Post

Just had to add this to the Arequipa blog...went to the Museo Santuarios Andinos and saw a frozen mummy, human sacrifice!

Wow! Apparently, she is the best preserved mummy / human remains found...because she was sacrificed at the top of a volcano in the Andes that was only accessible to the Incas because a nearby volcano was erupting, which melted the ice off the top of this neighbooring volcano...the height is something amazing, somewhere around 15,000 ft...imagine climbing that with sandals and no climbing equipment!?! So, the neigbooring volcano stops erupting, and the ice and snow comes back, perfectly preserving the young Inka girl...who they call Juanita because the man who found her in the 90's on a climbing expedition's first name is John...and she is young, and blah blah blah...

It was really interesting. And really special to be able to be 2 feet away from this mummy.

We hopped a Cruz del Sur bus for Cuzco at 8pm...and, by the way, love the movies they show...we can both recommend ¨Welcome to the Jungle¨, starring, the Rock...who knew?

Advertisement



Tot: 0.13s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0881s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb