The land of guinea pigs...and hot water!!!


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Arequipa » Arequipa
July 1st 2011
Published: July 1st 2011
Edit Blog Post

OK...so we´re not quite in Arequipa...but I can´t find the location on the drop down menu (probably due to my geography rather than anything else!).

Today we crossed the border from Boliva to Peru. Fortunately the strikes and border closures which were blocking the roads appeared to have been settled. Think that it was based on Trout in Lake Titicaca...but fish is on the menu and the roads are open so they´ve obviously come to some form of agreement!

We left the Isla de Sol this morning in the snow. Absolutely beautiful island but the views were definitely better the the blazing sunshine yesterday! The Island was bizarrely run by children - one gathered us from the port, another booked us into the hostel and two others served us dinner. Not sure if it was Take Your Children to Work Day but there really were very few adults about!! More than a few donkeys though (poor things have to carry everything up the high altitude hills which is no easy feat), sheep, pigs and llama...just no idea where the adults were!

I have finally acquired some genuine Lllama merchandise (in addition to my wooly bed socks which are prooving a valuable investment)...a beautiful Llama throw. Most pleased that after our haggling had ended I managed to get a small knitted llama thrown in for free...had previously been banned from buying such tourist tat but doesn´t count when it´s free!!!

We leave for the floating islands tomorrow (really hoping the bitter weather turns again!)...but in the meantime I´m looking forward to the (albeit stunted) bath waiting back in the hostel...divine!!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0423s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb