Holy week in Arequipa


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Arequipa » Arequipa
March 26th 2005
Published: March 26th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Arequipa, the capital of the state of Arequipa is located at 7300ft asl in the central cordillera de los andes - an old colonial style town, with buildings, churches and the plaza de armas (town square) just as it was some two hudred years ago when the spaniards conquered peru.

Upon arriving from the coast of arequipa, via the twisting, turning and long nine hour ride on the cattle bus (locked inside a compartment with two stops for nature breaks), several stops to take on interim passengers (the driver picks up people to make a little extra cash), and leaving behind the friends i made in puerto inca - i was tired, but glad to be alive in arequipa.

The streets on friday night were like an ocean of the masses had been spilt onto the city. Good Friday, and for that matter all of Holy week is a significant event in Latin America. For example:

- no drinking is permitted by law from thursday night until sunday noght
- most of the businesses are closed
- a large segment of the population is away on holiday as it marks the end of summer...

Back to my arrival, there must have been close to 100,000 people on the streets going from one of fourteen churches to the next, as the faitfull Roman Catholic´s followed the stations of the cross. It was a solemn and mystical experience.

Sunday morning, in the main churches in the towns, the crowds gather to burn an effigy of Judas Escariott (and while they are at it, the make up effigy´s of unpopular politicians and others in disfavor)

I plan on taking it easy on Sunday, go to Mass across the street from the old Monestary at which I am staying, and go out for a ride in the afternoon to shoot some of the local sights.

Unfortunately, the three volcanoes which surround the city are rarely visable due to smog - the white buildings and magestic cathedrals are now gray...

Monday morning, God willing, I will be off to Cusco to start working on capturing the points in time which present themselves. On the 4th of April, I head off on the Inca Trail from Cusco to Machu Picchu with a group of fellow trekkers to walk in the footsteps of the Incas.

Happy Easter, and I am thankfull My Savior died and rose for me -

Peace and Love from Arequipa - Perú.....




Advertisement



Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0667s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb