Huaraz & the Cordillera Blanca


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Ancash » Huaraz
October 1st 2005
Published: October 7th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Left Lima after a couple of days and headed north to the mountains. Huaraz is a fantastic town sat between the Cordillera Negra and the Cordillera Blanca (which have the highest peaks in Peru).

Huaraz is far less frantic than Lima, although still a lot of hooting, an incredible number of fireworks and continous brass band music (which sounds good at first until you realise that they all play the same tune over and over...).

After acclimitising to the altitude (a little) by doing a 1 day walk we headed into the mountains for a 4 day trek. It was just spectacular - glaciers, snow capped peaks, glacial lakes etc. Hard walking because of the amount of kit we were carrying, the altitude and the steepness of the trails - I am not sure in quite what order! Highest we got was 4750m, higher than Mont Blanc (I think!). A little disappointed that we have not yet seen either spectacled bear or condor, but there is time. Still, did encounter an earthquake in the middle of the night, which was interesting when camping on the site of a rock fall!

After a couple of days relaxing and soaking out tired limbs in thermal springs we are heading to the desert for a few days. An oasis near to the Nazca lines - may try sand boarding!

Hope all is well

Tom and Scott xx


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



10th October 2005

You lucky bastards
This looks bloody great...

Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 36; dbt: 0.0448s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb