The Santa Cruz Trek - Day 2


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Ancash » Huaraz
February 17th 2007
Published: February 24th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We awoke early on Day 2 to a massive breakfast, already prepared by our two Peruvian Amigos. Nothing could have prepared us for the day ahead! It was uphill all the way from around 3700m at our campsite to the Punta Union pass at 4750m!

We set off just before eight, in front of our guides and donkeys, and found the going tough from the word “go”. We decided to break the day down into 30 minute periods with a break at the end of each. We stuck to this quite well, until we got to what we thought was the highest point (after about 4 hours of walking). Delighted, we asked Jose, who had now overtaken us and was waiting up ahead, “Is this the top?”. “Ha ha! No amigos”, as he pointed to the Punta Union pass, 700m above us. “Oh dear!!!!!!!!!!” Heads pounding, we endured what we both agreed afterwards was the mot physically and mentally strenuous activity of our whole lives!! The last 50m, we literally crawled on hands and knees to the top!

What a relief and joy! We’d made it to the pass - something we both had doubted at times during the ascent. After a few photos, we laughed as we began skipping down. However, after a couple of hours, the novelty of descending had worn off and we relieved to reach camp.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.032s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 19; dbt: 0.0158s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb