Day 164 - Arriving in Buenos Aires for the third time


Advertisement
Paraguay's flag
South America » Paraguay
December 13th 2006
Published: January 4th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Being clever so-and-sos we saved the best for last at the Iguazu Falls. This morning we caught the first bus to the park and we headed towards something called the Devil’s Throat. A mini-train transports all the tourists to the beginning of the walkway, and they obviously knew we were coming as they were playing Gabriel’s Oboe from the film The Mission - more famously it was also the music Gemma walked down the aisle to. We had a brief chat with a young English chap with a fondness for traveller clichés. When we said that we had heard of Eailing, London, his hometown, he slowly shook his head and said “small world”!

There is a 1100m ‘catwalk’ to the viewing deck about as close to the Devils Throat as any sensible person would want to go. This is the main bit of the falls and is something that wouldn’t disappoint anyone. It is just incredible. Well worth a trip from anywhere in the world - just don’t expect to see it alone. As if there weren’t enough tourists there already, about 100 members of the Renault Formula One team turned up.

We went straight from the park to the airport - one of the benefits of travelling ultralight, caught our flight back to Buenos Aires (where Gemma’s dad, Gren, would have been proud of us as it took us a record 3 minutes to walk off the back of the plane through the airport terminal and into a taxi. We believe setting a world record in the crazy sport of ‘disembarkation and exiting airport’) and checked into our hostel. Half an hour later we were out again this time to meet Matt, a friend of ours from back home and his German friend Dea. We watched as Boca hilariously threw away the title they thought was theirs, hit a steak restaurant and didn’t emerge until many bottles of Malbec later. Memory is a bit fuzzy here.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.282s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 21; qc: 105; dbt: 0.1344s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb