Nature Escapes to Ecuador


Advertisement
Published: January 21st 2014
Edit Blog Post

Ecuador is a country straddling the equator, so has territories in both the Northern and Southern hemispheres. Travellers to this exotic country will find a wide diversity of climates, nature and environment as they explore what Ecuador has to offer. From the wilds of the Amazon to the peaks of the Andes, give yourself sufficient time to truly discover this diverse land.

The Galapagos Islands is made up of 13 main islands and 17 islets off the west coast of Ecuador, containing a mixture of volcanoes, tropical forests, and sandy beaches. It was declared a UNESCO World Heritage site in 1979 to preserve the animal species that cannot be found anywhere else in the world. The surrounding marine reserve has been similarly protected as a World Natural Heritage Site, so take a boat out to glimpse the sea life up close. The Galapagos are also famous for its scuba diving and snorkelling, bringing you face to face with the world beneath the sea.

On the west coast of Ecuador lies the lowlands region known as La Costa, which boasts rolling hills, fertile plains, dense mangroves forests, rushing rivers, and dank rainforests. This is a tropical region which has stunning beaches that attract tourists from around the world. While La Costa has a network of hotels and tourist resorts, it is also home to a variety of different ecosystems in its rainforests and tropical savannahs.

The Andes run across Ecuador to form a natural barrier between the east and the west. As you would expect, the Andes has soaring peaks, snow-capped volcanoes, and humid forest regions among the clouds. Visitors can choose from almost 30 volcanoes, many still active, along the so-called Avenue of the Volcanoes. From a number of cities in the Highlands, including the capital Quito, tourists can see the range of flora and fauna in national parks, taking mountain bike rides or treks through the stunning scenery.

As for the rest of Ecuador, more than half this country is covered in dense rainforest of the Amazon. Among the rivers, rolling jungles, and active volcanoes, visitors can get close to nature and the diverse wildlife which call the rainforests of Ecuador their home.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.134s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 59; dbt: 0.096s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb