Otavalo...something for everyone!


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » North » Otavalo
October 22nd 2011
Published: November 5th 2011
Edit Blog Post

I enjoyed my day tour of Otavalo. It was scheduled through Simon Bolivar school in Quito. The tour started off with a sampling of local fruit called Chirimoya in Guayllabama. The fruit was green on the outside (looked kind of like a artichoke) and white on the inside. It was sweet and yummy. Apparently at larger amounts its a great cure for constipation 😊

Then we had a delicious desayuno in Cayambe. Cayambe is famous for its bizcochos and lactose (milk and cheese). The bizcochos were a bit dry for my taste...but not bad with coffee. After breakfast, we had a quick tour around San Pablo del Lago.

The next part of the tour included first a visit to Mercado de Animales and then Mercado de Artesanias. The Mercado de Animales included the sale of every type of domestic animal possible and some livestock. It was a little depressing to see all the different types of animals so closely caged in the same pen...but they seemed peaceful enough?
The artisan market was huge...rows and rows of similar things. Most of items could be bought at markets in US. I did buy a few things though...

After that we had lunch in Cotacachi- cuidad del cuero. First we had lunch in an overpriced, tourist trap. Then we spent 30 minutes wondering into stores...not long enough in my opinion to make any purchases. That's one of the drawbacks of going on a tour.

After lunch, we walked around laguna de Cuicocha whose high elevation (? m) was to help prepare us for tomorrow hike up Cotopaxi. Finally we hit the Cascada de Peguche. Overall it was a pretty great day!


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Bagged cuy...Bagged cuy...
Bagged cuy...

a local favorite to eat and the used for medicinal purpose...not tried it yet!


Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0276s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb