Quito and Ibarra (twice)


Advertisement
South America » Ecuador » North » Ibarra
May 9th 2008
Published: May 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Well, again it's been a long time. This blog is going to be covering a visit to Quito and Ibarra, and then another visit to Ibarra, seperated by about a month I think. Ibarra if you didn't already know, is my favorite place in Ecuador. The city is so beautiful, the people are so nice, the accent is so cool, the food is so good, the arts and crafts around the province are the best ... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 60, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Mountain shackMountain shack
Mountain shack

Someone's shack in the field. This is what a lot of Ecuador looks like.
Serious climbingSerious climbing
Serious climbing

Look at that serious face on Simon. Man. Everyone is jacked up and good to go.
Crazy CowCrazy Cow
Crazy Cow

Two cows are standing in a field and one cow says to the other cow "Have you heard about the new mad cow disease?" The other cow looks over and says "Yeah, makes me glad I'm a penguin." Or something along those lines. Thank you Adam, that'll stick with me for life. This cow chased us out of the field.
More Simon than you can handleMore Simon than you can handle
More Simon than you can handle

More of Simon in the same shirt, the same crazy idea.
FenescaFenesca
Fenesca

MMMMMMMM. Rich, rich, rich. It has at least 10 different grains in it, then is piled with avacado, fish, empanadas, fried goodies, more vegetables, and other stuff. By the end it was naptime. This is made for Easter. Typical dish.
Hot springsHot springs
Hot springs

We went to some hot springs up in the mountains. It was damn cool. We'd go from 40 degrees C, to the polar plunge pool, which was just air temperature water, then back, it was so refreshing. A good 3 or 4 hours of bathing.
OtavaloOtavalo
Otavalo

The busy Saturday market.
My favorite paintingMy favorite painting
My favorite painting

This painting was reproduced all over Otavalo. Does anyone know anything about it? It was my personal favorite of all the ones I saw.
Simon says:Simon says:
Simon says:

I don't know what was going on here. We were in some empanada place run by a guy from Argentina.
HORNADOHORNADO
HORNADO

This is one of the things that freaks out people that come to Ecuador. Just...a whole ovenroasted pig staring at you from its vat in markets and on the street. It's so delicious. You get a bag with Mote (hominy) and salad. The person who's selling just grabs pieces of meat with her bare hands and you request how much you want (25 cents to a dollar), and then you're set to go. Really filling. Mr. Chancho.
San AntonioSan Antonio
San Antonio

This is a city famous for its woodcarvings. That's the main industry here, and all you'll see is guys sitting around woodcarving, and when not woodcarving they're playing chess on the boards they carve. Simon plays chess with them I believe. This was the best shop in town. Cool stuff.
The Music ManThe Music Man
The Music Man

That's simon. 3 music playing devices. This was when Niklas left I think. That's Kenneth at right. Lukas center stage.
My legs are made of alfeñiqueMy legs are made of alfeñique
My legs are made of alfeñique

I think I spelled alfeñique wrong in my other blogs. Oh well. It's so darn good I wanted my legs to be made out of it. They didn't last too long though.
Lukas's familyLukas's family
Lukas's family

These are the people that I love in Lukas's house. His sister and his mom are so nice. And they talk in the cutest way. Seriously. I can't get enough of their accent. I secretly think of them as my second family in Ecuador. They're the best. Oh, his mom is making the biscotti things into biscotti covered in hardened sugar or something. They were really good.
Lukas's sisterLukas's sister
Lukas's sister

At the fashion show. I think she works in fashion herself, has gone to school to be a lawyer, and teaches English and Law at the university. Something like that. She's crazy. I see her at like, 2 in the morning, ask her what's she'd doing, she replies that she has to organize all this stuff, and then get up at 5 to finish writing the lecture for the day, then has work...yeah. Crazy.
Some famous guySome famous guy
Some famous guy

Some famous singer at the fashion show. I've seen his CD's around, just yesterday actually. We sat one table over from him.
Lukas and his girlfriendLukas and his girlfriend
Lukas and his girlfriend

I don't remember her name I guess. Sorry Lukas. At the fashion show. Did I mention Lukas was modeling? It was pretty damn cool.
Kenneth's...last night.Kenneth's...last night.
Kenneth's...last night.

I want to say it was his last night. Could have been his 2nd to last night. This is where the cities main discotech is. Tsunami. It's weird, in Ibarra it's all about the discotechs. In my city I never go to them.



10th May 2008

fried guinea pig! NOOOOO! also the thing about people being angry, yah that's pretty much how we do it in my family too, you eventually learn to pick up on the signals^^
10th May 2008

Talk a lot and keep it in your pants (TAKIYP)
Hey Nathaniel que Onda? Como te va? segun leo te la estas pasando re bien. Comiendo, hablando and flirtig with the girls. Just don't forget... TAKIYP. Me da gusto que todo vaya bien. Ya mero se acaba el año, asi es que aprovecha, aprovecha y aprovecha tu experiencia. Hey! has tenido oportnidad de visitar una Peña? todabia existen? ( lugar donde escuchas usica de " La nueva cancion" y tomas cafe y platicas y cosas asi. Pues si existen ve a una. Nomas no digas que eres el CHE' ( Shay) :) o creeran que eres revolucionario. Cuidate Nathaniel. Espero verte pronto. Saludos de todos los Leal. Ciao Benito.
14th May 2008

dido that (takiyp)
Nathaniel, I'm glad you remember, yet slightly embarassed that you do. Beyond that, I'm thrilled you're having a good time, finishing up my last week of school here at St. Thomas. 15 pages give or take to do on my paper due Fri... three more finals to take. San antonio, patron saint of miracles pray for us! peace, God bless, and hope to hear from you soon. -Adam

Tot: 0.134s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1019s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb