Quito and Ibarra (twice)


Advertisement
South America » Ecuador » North » Ibarra
May 9th 2008
Published: May 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Well, again it's been a long time. This blog is going to be covering a visit to Quito and Ibarra, and then another visit to Ibarra, seperated by about a month I think. Ibarra if you didn't already know, is my favorite place in Ecuador. The city is so beautiful, the people are so nice, the accent is so cool, the food is so good, the arts and crafts around the province are the best ... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 60, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

The ManThe Man
The Man

This is Lukas. Be scared. Be awed. Be Lukasized. One of the people I will visit after this year for sure. The Lukas.
JohnJohn
John

One of the guys in Ibarra. While I was there that time he was making crackers with cucumber and goat cheese using only his pocketknife. It was really good though.
VideogamesVideogames
Videogames

When it's guy time, there's videogames. They have something in Ibarra we don't on the coast: LAN games of Age of Empires 2 and Medal of Honor Breakthrough. Oldies but goodies...
The Opium DenThe Opium Den
The Opium Den

Rightly coined The Opium Den, this is two crowded, dim, and snug rooms in the back of an internet cafe/hotel. Though I can't say I've been in an actual opium den, it seemed the most appropriate name.
My room No. 2My room No. 2
My room No. 2

This one is in Lukas's house in Ibarra. It's cozy, smells good, and is behind a small store, which means I'm up at about 8 each morning at latest.
Simbad'sSimbad's
Simbad's

Yes, SiMbad's. I totally kept thinking it was Sinbad's until this time I was there. It's one of the best places in Ibarra to get a bite to eat, or hang out late at night. It's right on Bolívar, the main hang out street. The owner is a chainsmoking Iranian man who I haven't seen too much these last few times. Oscar isn't there either. Things are changing.
SaucesSauces
Sauces

Red or White? Kind of like Neo's red or blue pill, but instead of waking up in your room without anything happening you stay in the rabbit hole of deliciousness. Chutney and yogurt sauce. Mmm.
Some MountainSome Mountain
Some Mountain

I'm not really sure which it is, but it's peeking out through the clouds on a sunny day and was really cool. You hardly ever see them unless you get up at 5.
Are these?Are these?
Are these?

These are the same bowls we have in my house. I think. Right? This is more of a question to my parents. We were at some Rotary student's house. They had a really nice kitchen. Almost like the US.
I'm thinking this is ImbaburaI'm thinking this is Imbabura
I'm thinking this is Imbabura

I could be wrong on this one, but I want to say that's Imbabura. I could be horribly wrong. I'd have to ask Simon on that one.
Lukas's Bathroom WindowLukas's Bathroom Window
Lukas's Bathroom Window

I don't know if I mentioned this before, but Lukas's bathroom's window has the coolest view ever. Usually it's better. And the camera can't sum it up. You're looking out, as you're showering, and all you can see is that roof, and then clouds, and then mountains. It's really, really cool.
Mt. ImbaburaMt. Imbabura
Mt. Imbabura

At about 5:30 or 6ish. Really, really clear morning. Beautiful mountains in the morning.
I want to say this is Mt. ChimborazoI want to say this is Mt. Chimborazo
I want to say this is Mt. Chimborazo

I could be wrong on this one, but it was really, really far away, and I thought I remembered Simon saying that it was Mt. Chimborazo and that it wasn't usually visible. I wish I'd taken the names of all these mountains for each photo.
Katrin and NiklasKatrin and Niklas
Katrin and Niklas

On Lukas's roof right before we went hiking on a random mountain.
Lukas's PhotoLukas's Photo
Lukas's Photo

This was Lukas's Idea for a cool photo. Mt. Imbabura. I can't get enough of the mountains.
Rural ImbaburaRural Imbabura
Rural Imbabura

We had to walk for a ways to get to the mountain, and this is what a lot of the countryside looks like. The most beautiful province I've seen.
More cloudsMore clouds
More clouds

These are the clouds that usually cover all the mountains up. Steadily making their way to the valley.
More Light and DarknessMore Light and Darkness
More Light and Darkness

As the sun broke over the moutains, it split everything into a wall of light and shadow. Really cool.
Normal ImbaburaNormal Imbabura
Normal Imbabura

This is how it normally is. Cloud covered.
In the pastureIn the pasture
In the pasture

Really, really steep pasture where some cows were grazing. Almost at the top.
Foot valleyFoot valley
Foot valley

There was this part of the valley that looked like a foot. Check it out. A really big footprint.



10th May 2008

fried guinea pig! NOOOOO! also the thing about people being angry, yah that's pretty much how we do it in my family too, you eventually learn to pick up on the signals^^
10th May 2008

Talk a lot and keep it in your pants (TAKIYP)
Hey Nathaniel que Onda? Como te va? segun leo te la estas pasando re bien. Comiendo, hablando and flirtig with the girls. Just don't forget... TAKIYP. Me da gusto que todo vaya bien. Ya mero se acaba el año, asi es que aprovecha, aprovecha y aprovecha tu experiencia. Hey! has tenido oportnidad de visitar una Peña? todabia existen? ( lugar donde escuchas usica de " La nueva cancion" y tomas cafe y platicas y cosas asi. Pues si existen ve a una. Nomas no digas que eres el CHE' ( Shay) :) o creeran que eres revolucionario. Cuidate Nathaniel. Espero verte pronto. Saludos de todos los Leal. Ciao Benito.
14th May 2008

dido that (takiyp)
Nathaniel, I'm glad you remember, yet slightly embarassed that you do. Beyond that, I'm thrilled you're having a good time, finishing up my last week of school here at St. Thomas. 15 pages give or take to do on my paper due Fri... three more finals to take. San antonio, patron saint of miracles pray for us! peace, God bless, and hope to hear from you soon. -Adam

Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0456s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb