San Cristobal


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » Galápagos » San Cristóbal Island
September 5th 2011
Published: September 9th 2011
Edit Blog Post

The longest journey in the World to arrive at a holiday destination is over. After what seemed like a human version of Walt Disney's Incredible Journey, we finally made it to San Cristobal, the capital of the Galapagos. Our bedroom onboard the Galapagos Queen cannot be understated. We have a king sized bed, another sitting room and an ensuite with bath and shower. We even have a large TV!!!

No sooner had we got onboard and we were whisked back to the shore on a Panga (dinghy), loaded onto a bus and driven across thhe island to see some of the famous Giant Tortoises. This guy is a youngster at about 70 years old. They live up to 180 years.

There is an increasing population of 25,000 that are being carefully managed back to sustainable numbers after their initial slaughter for meat by long-gone travelers and traders. Apparently these animals can survive up to 14 months without food or water, so ideal for storing onboard boat in the days of sailing.

We spotted some red crabs, common sea lions and plenty of Frigate birds wheeling around above. Some young sea lions were frolicking about on the beach and in the water, very entertaining.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0483s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb