Floreana and Post Office Bay


Advertisement
Published: June 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Flamingos!Flamingos!Flamingos!

the white one is the baby
Floreana in the morning. First we went to Punta Cormorant for a walk to see flamingos! For a couple days now our guide had been saying that there was a possibility of seeing flamingos and today we finally did! First just far away but then we went to another spot and saw them really close. We even saw a young one that was still completely white! Then we went snorkeling at Devil's Crown, a pretty cool rock formation sunk into the ocean. Lots of fish and even some reef sharks and a turtle.

In the afternoon we went to Post Office Bay. It is basically just a post box. Long ago whenever ships went through they would drop off letters and then pick up ones for wherever they were going. Now of course it's just for tourists, but it still functions the same way. You can leave a postcard and then if there are any that need to go to places you are headed, you pick them up and deliver them (without stamps). Pretty cool! Most of the postcards were pretty new, from within the past couple days. About 100 people go through there a day from all over the world, so I guess there is a pretty quick turnover.

Then we went to a lava tube! Kinda like a cave. It was pretty big and open inside with only a small crack that led out towards the ocean. Then, of course, more snorkeling! 6 sea turtles. Pretty big ones too! They didn't like us though so they usually swam away pretty quick. We also saw an octopus and played some frisbee.

In the evening we sat on the back of the boat for our night's entertainment. There were several sea lions catching flying fish right off the back. They were really fast and would jump out to catch the fish. It was really fun to watch! We also saw a reef shark, sea snake, and really tiny baby turtles! (Also really rare to see...). The stars are also amazing! We're right on the equator so we can see both hemispheres. The Milky Way is also really visible.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.142s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 12; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0938s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb