Snakes, but no ladders


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » East » Tena
June 28th 2005
Published: July 1st 2005
Edit Blog Post

Rich again.
The lack of photos doesnt really effect this entry, cos it was just more jungle, and one mostly green picture looks very much like another (we stuck another of the other day in for good measure though), so here goes!

In the morning we went on a canyoning treck which, as the name implies, involved trecking and canyons, but in wellies (us, not the canyons, although i´d like that). Molly was fortunately absent and a good time was had by all. Our guide for the day was a guy called Lewis, and he was nails. He spent the first part of the trek showing us all the medicinal 'plants he could find, but when medicine was really needed, because an elderly Australian man called Brian rammed a great big stick in his eye (idiot), the ernest little fellow went strangely quiet. There is not a plant in the jungle for every eventuality then.

one snake we came across was so poisonous it can kill you in 30 minutes if it bites, so they always carry an anidote with them. So he hacked it up with a big knife and stuck it in a hole cos even the body is toxic.

Lots more fun was to be had chuckling at people falling over, and things got really entertaining as we scaled the inside of a bat cave, without ropes or helmets or any of that rubbish. Marvellous fun, but everyone survived.

In the afternoon I went tubing (Jen didn´t, luminous feet and a big red nose). After an interesting transit on the back of a pickup, sitting on inflated innertubes that were falling out and clinging to a peice of rope as we sped along at ridiculous speed with two Ecuadorians clutching my legs, we got in the river. Fundamentally, tubing is DULL, but that wasn´t helped by having only a pair of Finnish mutes to speak to. After that I went to a native village, where I watched an old woman chasing chickens and children with brooms, and drank a mildly alcoholic drink that everyone told me was lovely, in stark contradiction to all the available evidence. It tasted of pollyfiller. All in all it was ace, but the best bit was the pickup ride. I think Jen may have won, she got to laugh at Molly again, whilst lying in a hammock. Oh, and she got to get dry, I´d been wet constantly for three days.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 8; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0499s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb