Ecuador


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » Centre » Baños
December 9th 2014
Published: December 10th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Banos - Day 16

We were planning to visit the waterfalls today by bicycle. But Bob twisted his knee coming down the mountain yesterday, so we decided biking wasn't a good option. I was relieved because I was a little nervous about cycling on the mountain roads! We talked with the lady here at the hostel, and she suggested we take a bus. The bus would be the blue bus to Rio Verde, which would be our last stop. We hopped on the bus, asked the driver to let us out at Agoyan Cascadas, the first of three falls we wanted to see, and we were off. The bikers ride on the same road as the traffic. We decided the bus was a good option, because there was construction on the first part of the road, there were no shoulders, and the trucks and buses speeding by you could be frustrating. This was a double falls, very impressive. The scenery is unbelievable. They offered a tram ride over the deep river gorge, but we didn't do that. Bus travel is very convenient and prompt here.

We caught the next bus and asked to stop at Monta de la Novia. This was another very impressive double falls, which can be seen from the road. This also offers a tram ride 500m across the river gorge at a height of 100m.

The final stop was in the village of Rio Verde, the home of Pailon del Diablo (Devil's Cauldron). This was an amazing, forceful waterfall, the most impressive we have ever seen. The falls is about a 15 or 20 minute downhill hike from the access point in the village. The hike down is through jungle-like vegetation, but surprisingly there were no bugs. You can hear the thundering water as you go down. At the base of the falls is a large open air restaurant. For a small fee you can walk up behind the restaurant to get a view from the top of the falls. The water just gushes out of the mountain, sending its spray up to the viewing areas. If you go to the falls via a "new" entrance, you go across a suspension bridge atop the falls. We spent time in the restaurant for lunch. Then from the restaurant we crossed a suspension bridge (only five people on the bridge at a time!) to get an awesome view of the falls from the bottom. The view was breathtaking. Photos do not do this falls justice. We took a video, but this site cannot post videos at the current time. We walked back up into Rio Verde and found a bus back into Banos almost immediately.

Tomorrow morning we head back to Quito.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



10th December 2014

Did you get wet?
Did you get close enough in Devil's Cauldron to get wet? I'm glad I wore a rain coat when we were there! Glad you had fun!
10th December 2014

Devil's Cauldron
We had very good weather in Banos (just a few raindrops). We got some mist at the falls but the only concern was the camera. We have to compare notes at Christmas.
10th December 2014

Great photos!
Great photos, all! You are able to capture the essence of the land in a most artistic way! Especially like the colorful one of the two of you "enjoying the view."
10th December 2014

So many photos!
Thanks! I love taking photos. We have gone through many sets of batteries.

Tot: 0.441s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 13; qc: 55; dbt: 0.4078s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb