Cuidad Perdida


Advertisement
Colombia's flag
South America » Colombia » Santa Marta
October 16th 2005
Published: October 19th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Ok where to start this. I´m actually back in Cartegena now but I just got back from a 6 day trek into the Colombian Jungle to see Ciudad Perdida (Lost City). It´s a pre-Colombian Tayrona Indian city. Its a pretty impressive set of ruins, well what is left. Its up on top of this mountain that you hike up about 3000 stairs from the river to get to. The ruins that are left are walls and terraces with steps. Sorry since this trip is so short I'll do pics when I get home.
Anyway it was quite the adventure to get to this place.
Its a 3 day hike in, about 4-5 hours of hiking each day. Its its very up and down.
The last day we had 9 river crossings all about soprano deep (waist deep). Then hiking the last hour up steps to the city.
The miserable parts of the trek.... all up and down, it rains every afternoon, and mosquitos. You clothes are never dry because if its not raining you are just dripping sweat.
But all things being equal it was fun. We stayed in shelters and slept in hammocks. We had a guide and cook/porter, so all we had to carry was our own clothes and other personal gear.
The views in the jungle were quite impressive. I think the real key to this trip is the pictures from the city.

It was interesting that the guide we had was the same one that was the guide when the backpackers were kidnapped 2 years ago. Its perfectly safe now the paramilitary takes care of that.

Link toCiudad Perdida Pictures

Advertisement



19th October 2005

congratulations!
you did what most people wouldn't dare to do...i think it's awesome! can't wait to see the photos.

Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.007s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0261s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb