LOS ALUMBRADOS


Advertisement
Colombia's flag
South America » Colombia » Medellin
December 18th 2006
Published: December 20th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Los Alumbrados...the Christmas lights decorating the Colombian cities, every single house, building and street corner....it is an entire industry and an entire obsession related to los Alumbrados in Colombia. It is kind of funny, come to think of it, people don't have bread to put on the table and food to feed the kids, but they wouldn't feel it is Christmas without los Alumbrados !

Although I think it is pretty ridiculous to waste so much electricity and energy for one entire month, I understanmd that for Colombians it would be out of the question to have Christmas without these alumbrados! People don't even care about the electricity wasted and the cost of utilities skyrocketing for 2 months!! In December, every day is fiesta and starting with the 7th of December they put up lights all over the city and the lights are on every single night til the first week of January.

Medellin is renowned for hosting the brightest, biggest and most beautiful Alumbrados in Colombia. They are specially designed and every year they have a different theme. This year- waves, stars, moon, all along the river plus the most representative figure of every region in Colombia! There is an entire industry designing, making and installing the Christmas lights, they sell them after usage to other countries in South America and even Europe - Holland for instance.

There are competitions between neighbours and neighbourhoods, the city hall offers big prizes for the houses with the most beautiful alumbraods! So people do their best to decorate the house with the most beautiful lights they can find on the market! And every year they change them or add some more!! From a nice framed house with little white lights which looks absolutely amazing to a disco-looking tacky one is a small step ! I have to hand it to them, some are gorgeous and give you a feeling of Christmas , but there are so many looking like a not so well-famed disco place, that you just look away.

It is pretty crazy, but you have to hand it to them ,it is gorgeous! If you come to accept that everything they do in Colombia is a tiny bit exaggerated and over the top, then Alumbrados won't take you by surprise and you will enjoy them! Even the noise of the fast food vendors are no
los alumbrados de Medellinlos alumbrados de Medellinlos alumbrados de Medellin

spectacular and crazy at the same time!
longer that annoying if you think they are a natural part of the Colombian Christmas picture.







Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



24th December 2006

ALASKA
ME ENCANTAN LOS ALUMBRADOS DE MI CIUDAD LA EXTRANO MUCHO Y A MI GENTE DESDE ANCHORAGE AK PAULA
10th February 2007

You missed one point...
You missed a very important point: In spite of the high electricity bill (Colombia is the largest electricity exporter in South America), los Alumbrados represent a huge income for a large part of the population. It does generate a lot of seasonal employment; local associations, restaurants, hotels and thousands of families take a large part of their year’s income from this festivity. The city itself receives thousands of tourists. The electricity bill is a very low price to pay in exchange.
10th February 2007

You do have a point, but...
I perfectly understand your point of view, actually I am very much aware of that, but I am sure it`s not that "low of a price to pay in exchange ", as you put it, bills skyrocket and there is a great deal of people who can`t afford to pay food and basic utilities.
23rd March 2007

Medellin, the best city ever
Medellin is full of charismatic people, is a vsery prety city and it can offer you a great time there!!! You'll find nice places to go and rest, to hang out with friends, to have parties, or just to chill out! In December, the city is full of lights and colors and you can't miss it. Visit Medellin! and I assure you that you'll fall in love with it: La ciudad de la eterna primavera!!!!
10th November 2008

Alumbrados
The thing with the alumbrados is kinda the same thing with the christmas presents in US. In Medellin we don't think about going shopping, we think about getting together as a family to enjoy the most beautiful time of the year. The alumbrados is just part of that tradition. I wouldn't call the alumbrados a waste of money; if that was the case presents are a wzaste of money. Medellin, takes very seriously christmas and getting families close, we see it as the best times of all.
3rd December 2010
ALUMBRADOS IN MEDELLIN

alumbrados medellin/2010
estan la veraquera,estan muymuy bonitos,que viva colombia
8th December 2010

colombiano n new jersey,usa
soy caleno orgulloso del talento colombiano "medellin" que muestra al mundo nuestro arte y belleza felicidades paisitas KE PASA CALI MOSTREMOS AL MUNDO ALGO BUENO........YA ELEGIMOS ALCALDES... BLANCOS LADRONES..NEGROS..CIEGOS...MARICAS.. MENTIROSOS....AHORA KE VENGA UN PAISA BERRACO
13th December 2011

you rediculus
that is our culture and u dont give us money to eat and stuff so why do u even care we dont care if american eat until they explote so take care of ur own bussiness
15th January 2012

u are actually right!!
hmm....never thought about it like that...u might be right....there is some truth in what u said....

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0448s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb