Cruisin the Chilean Coast


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile
October 21st 2017
Published: October 21st 2017
Edit Blog Post

Our hotel was in a great location, the cost was reasonable, cleanliness marginal, security good, amenities included internet/tv and a really nice breakfast. They lent Kate a hair dryer , there was plenty of hot water and the beds were positioned in the room center, nuff said?



Watched a bit of MLB , the LA Dodgers and the Chicago Cubs, reception was good but TV picture bad. Could make out the action though.



Its 1043 , checkout is 1200 and we board the ship at 1:00. Time to pick up some squeezed grapes and walk the pier over to embarkation area.



Breakkie was toast, jam , fruit , cheese , ham ,and yougurt. As nice a meal as any we have had. So many Canadian Hotel chains would do well to follow this example. No dried out danishes with instant oatmeal , crummy packaged muffins and plastic utensils.



Met a couple that also stayed here , from Adelaide. We exchanged notes on our adventures and found we could have experienced a hop on hop off bus in Santiago. Kate and I always plan to use that service but for
SanAntonioSanAntonioSanAntonio

Our Zaandam
some reason didn't pursue it.

They saw and did pretty much everything that we had except we walked to all the sights.



The hotel owner/manager and all staff were very attentive friendly and outgoing.

Kate and I agreed we would stay here again, if of course we had any reason to travel to San Antonio , which I couldnt imagine.

Red wine, White wine, Dorito's and Chocolate , a responsible adult selection. We also sauntered up Main St, thats what we called it, to a nice bakery and picked up some treats.

The walk to our ship was about 10 minutes along the pier , and yet everyone we talked to were surprised that we hadn't cabbed it. Checking in and boarding was organized , the Port of San Antonio , I am sure, are pleased for the commerce that a cruise ship brings to the community. Things were all freshly painted , all staff were smiling and I think they were planning on how to spend all the extra peso's generated.

On a smaller vessel , like the Zaandam, there just are not the crowds that we had become familiar with
San AntonioSan AntonioSan Antonio

Te blue building is our hotel
on the larger ships. Kate and I never have to wait for anything. Our cabin is typical , nicer than expected bathroom , complete with a bathtub for Kathie Z. Do not choose a cabin at the front of a ship. We had heavy seas with 15-20 ft swells and it was like an amusement ride. Neither Kate nor I had an issue , but many folks were suffering. Green apples and soda crackers were the universal anti nauseas remedy



It takes a few days , but we are able to establish our favourite spots. The specialty coffees are nice, the Martini bar was a good spot to , well drink.

The Crowsnest , conveniently located 5 floors directly above us , has a band/dance floor and bar with fantastic panoramic views.

Not a great entertainment mix after experiencing the larger ships, where we had become accustomed to more diverse choices. The online comments were never positive for Holland American cruises , entertainment . They have a movie theatre that plays twice daily. We think the Ships dancers are good, but to this point have only experienced their show from our cabin. I just take my hearing aids out.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0408s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb