Cherish the WIFI at the End Of The World


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina
October 22nd 2017
Published: October 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Ships food is okay , a very nice selection of appetizers and main dishes , but nothing yet that I would fantasize over. The baking , bread, buns are really nice and the fruit has been wonderfull. Overall we like the Zaandam and its crew. Not as new or opulent , but a very unmistakeable charm to her.



Kate was selected to model and will have a runway experience. This will happen on the last couple of days of the cruise.

The weather conditions do not share a single , common element with the Caribbean or Mediterranean . We did not expect anything different.



Entered the Darwin Channel early this morn , Kate and I stood in the rain and 5 degree temps to watch. I don't think a ship much larger could traverse this area. Glassy water and rugged shoreline , a little surreal.



Eating too much , but not much alcohol consumption. First Gala night and Kate looked beautiful , you will have to take my word as I fended off the photogs!



Into a narrow channel this morning which terminated with a glacier. The Zaandam was able to get fairly close, then spent about 30 minutes before pivoting 180 degrees to allow us to retreat. The glacier was a shimmering translucent blue. Lots of small icebergs had broken off and were impeding our forward progress .



We are the first ship this year into this area and the Captain was not sure what to expect.There was more iceflow in the fjord than we had hoped for.

We are cruising the inside channel , South , now at a lower speed. We have been up at 19 knots while we were trying to outrun the heavy seas. Overcast with rain showers and low Stratus clouds , okay Fog! Cool temps , hovering around freezing. At sea today , arriving at Punta Arenas tomorrow morning. Will have WIFI access there.



Danced last night , but generally not an enthusiastic group. This is a very relaxing environment once you settle in. There are passengers that started the cruise in Vancouver ,and when finishing in Rio will have 31 days on the Zaandam. Most of the cruisers that we have met spend many months a year travelling and will be transferring to another ship , Cruise line and itinerary. I get it!



Kate had a Spanish lesson but did not learn how to order beer and empanadas , We had a good description on how to order fried eggs , by mimicking a chicken , then cracking the egg and turning it , so sunny side up, by pointing to the sky, hilarious.



Have not seen an indication of humankind or the existence of animals. , outside of the ships characters for 2 days. Check out our route on a map, we are a long ways from anything , a bit eerie.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0389s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb