Quintay


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Valparaíso Region
November 14th 2008
Published: December 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

My first trip outside of santiago!!!!!!! so this was quite a while ago. Christian was still living with us, now he lives in switzerland! and we have a new room mate named jacqulene. she´s chilean, but has been living in germany for the past 2 years, so now our house is 4-languages! i love to listen to the others talk and have no idea what they´re saying, and yes, that still happens when my room mates are speaking spanish sometimes! Depends on the context of course, for example if rodrigo and mauricio are talking, every other word is weon or some slang word that has a double meaning of course, so i don´t understand very well...
We went to quintay for a farewell thing for christian before he left. Mauri couldn´t come, but 2 other kids from france, and carolina from Colombia came, oh yeah and another girl from southern california.
Quintay is now a fisher-man town. It use to be where they killed whales, but now there aren´t any 😞 so just fish. Supposedly, when there were whales, the town had the worst stench in the air, always, and the bay and surrounding ocean was red with whale blood! all though that would have been cool to see, i´m glad i went to quintay as my first trip outside of santiago. It is not touristy at all, but very close to the most touristy beach, valparaiso. We stayed in a place with only 6 rooms, and we had the whole place to ourselves! we made fires, and cooked together, and at night we went to the local bar/restaurant, where we ate lunch the first day. There we got to talk and drink with the locals. Most were really excited to talk to foreigners, aka, anyone not from quintay. It was a very relaxing weekend! the place where they use to kill the whales is now a whale museum...and that´s about the only thing to do there. We went for hikes, and spent a lot of time on the beach!
The beach is pretty cold here, at least in the spring. Christian went swimming becuase he wanted to his ocean one last time, but he´s also crazy, the water is frigid.
that´s all for now! hasta muy pronto mis amigos!


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

me heading into the caveme heading into the cave
me heading into the cave

this didn´t turn out as well as i thought...there were tons of bats
maiba, rodrigo, marie, yo, y tibumaiba, rodrigo, marie, yo, y tibu
maiba, rodrigo, marie, yo, y tibu

3 frenchies, rodrigo and me
i like the contrasti like the contrast
i like the contrast

the newest and most modern house there, right next to the shack
i thinki think
i think

where they use to kill the whales, now there´s none left
marie y micamarie y mica
marie y mica

during almuerzo
maibu y christianmaibu y christian
maibu y christian

literally the food took over an hour, and we were almost the only ones there, lets just say the wine was long gone before the food got there
carolinacarolina
carolina

she´s columbian and soooo sweet
rodrigorodrigo
rodrigo

house mate, he´s nice too
plata de machaplata de macha
plata de macha

they´re like oysters but suposedly better. I did try one, and did not like it at all, that seemed to make everyone happy (so that way they could eat more)
walk to another beachwalk to another beach
walk to another beach

we were comenting on how much it looks like michigan...
micamica
mica

really like the gigantic plants, which are not like michigan at all!


3rd December 2008

hey, where are you? south america or somewhere?
where's the snow? where's your parka? (parka?) and how come it doesnt look like your sneezing or anything? oh, and love your labels for ''beach'', ''dock'', etc. do i sound like your brother? have fun!

Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0415s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb