Futbol


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Santiago Region » Santiago
November 14th 2008
Published: January 22nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

chi chi chi le le le, viva chile! It has been way too long, but i am so bad about sitting down and finishing these things! I had the change to go to three profesional futbol games. First with Ecuador, Brasil, then Argentina! I went with my tandem partner leon weon and 2 of my gringas to all 3 games, and for various others, there was a huge group of us! For the first game i didnt know what to expect, and just as i was getting on the metro to go to the stadium, i realized i was wearing blue and maroon, and that i should have probabaly been wearing red, blue and white, the colors of chile as well as the states. So i went back home, and grabbed my red russion river hoodie and felt much better. As soon as i got to metro Ñuble, I realized i had done the right thing! Every singe person i saw was wearing red, had painted faces, had huge hats, or were weraring the flag around their shoulders like a cape. I found leon, and we headed off to the stadium. We get there over 2 hours before the game so we could get good seats, and to get the whole experience of the game. On the walk to the stadium, we passed over 20 people seeling choripan, a sausage with bun, people selling andwiches, pops, t-shirts, flags for 2 mil pesos, people wanting to paint your face, it was all apart of the game. We entered the staium, but not without getting rid of our fruit first! they wouldnt let us take in whole pieces of fruit for saftey reasons. They dont want any objects that could be hurled at the fans of the other team, the refs, or the hundreds of cops that are there to provide safety.
I expanded my vocabulary a lot by going to the games. For example, when the other team is being anouned as they come onto the field, after every name, the chileans yell it is quite a sound. the whole staduim is yelling in unison! I learned many other ugly words as well that i probably shouldnt share.
For the second game, about a half hour before it started, it began to pour buckets of rain for about 20 minutes! So we were completely soaked, but totally happy. There was a rainbow that spanned one side of the staium, so it was worth the wet.
The third game was against Argentina, and i witnessed the first goal that chile scored against Argentina in over 30 years! It was the only goal in the whole game, so we won! No one thought it would happen, Argentina is ranked in the top 5 of the teams in that division, and chile is in the 20´s. It was very emotional, people were crying, everyone was hugging everyone!
I am so glad i got to experience this important part of the chilean culture, and i got to witness a part of chilean history!


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



22nd January 2009

Miss you
Looks like so much fun, and rediculously beautiful. We talk about how we miss you all the time. Thanks for always sharing. You look gorgeous. Britt

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0318s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb