Climbing up San Cristobal and visiting Bellavista


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Santiago Region » Santiago
January 27th 2015
Published: January 28th 2015
Edit Blog Post

This morning I climbed up San Cristobal - a famous viewpoint looking out over the whole of Santiago and the Andes mountains. It’s a dusty, steep climb with very little shade and takes about an hour and a half. It was difficult in 32 degrees but with regular breaks and the incentive of needing to get down the mountain before 3pm for a ‘Menu del Dia’ in a restaurant in Bellavista (the neighbourhood at the foothills of the climb) helped me make it to the statue of the Virgin (a giant white statue of Mary which can be seen high up on the mountain from Santiago) At the top there were several statues of religious figures and beautiful gardens which were really peaceful.

I visited the nearby area Bellavista which is a short walk from my neigbourhood Providencia and ate ‘Menu del Dia’ with a salad for starter, chorilla for main – the typical Chilean dish with a fried egg on top of steak and french fries, for dessert I had an unforgettable chocolate ice cream served the italian way with a big scoop in a glass bowl. I had a 2 hour siesta after my meal and then in the evening I walked around a local park where lots of people were jogging, doing yoga or sitting and chatting. The evenings here in Santiago are cool and very pleasant.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.307s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.1007s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb