Starting it Chile


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Santiago Region » Santiago
September 30th 2010
Published: October 21st 2010
Edit Blog Post

Landing in Chile, after one of the better international flights I've taken, little TVs in the back of the seats and plenty of booze. The stop in New Zealand seemed pointless but it did mean the thirty odd snoring asian men departed. The airport there seemed to be small and a few decades behind the rest of the world. A long cab ride from Santiago to our hostel, we got to see some of the first parts of the less developed world. Massive buildings similar to the government housing around Waterloo, one after another with nothing much to them. Rubbish appeared to be a big issue with the main waterway littered with rubbish and more rubbish. The cab driver like the accelerator and also doing as he pleased on the roads, any lane was his and overtaking is fun doing on it either side of the cars or road as long as you hit the horn as you do it.
Our hostel was small but nice, we had a four bed dorm and for the first two nights we were by ourselves. After a "power nap" which seemed to be a little long we ventured out to find and Irish pub where we spent the most of our time. We settled into a good rhythm of "power napping" and drinking beer. My stomach never seemed to have gotten off the plane as for the entire time in Santiago I wasn't able to finish a full meal, strange! A few nights in we meet a couple of Chilean women, whom seemed very keen on Aussie buys lucky for us. They took us back to there unit, which was nice but no more then a bed and bathroom. After a few very strong vodkas and a dash of lemonade we had successful drunken through to the morning. Out of booze we headed to the supermarket. The good thing it wasn't far he bad thing was they don't let you buy alcohol till 9, and it was only 830! how crap is that! The boys and I decided fun was fun and bed time was needed. Another serious power nap session and we woke at 930pm, we had agreed with the girls to meet at 1000, so we grabed some food and we heading home when they came out and found us. A few more thousand drinks we had all settled in, I made my choice of which lady I was taking, and I left adrian and alex to battle for the other. Another hour past and it seemed Adrian whom previously had look like death was his only option had started to find his groove, alex on the other hand had managed to start becoming the insanely drunken person we all love. Alex decided to throw in the towel and head for the hostel! Adrian and I continued with our new friends and later hit a club, and then to each ladies home. Adrian and i returned to the hostel later the next day, adrian around 830, i came back around 11. We all shared stories and found out that Alex had an interesting night. He woke from his slumber need to vomit. In the room there were two doors one to the balcony near the bunk i slept and the other door closer to his bunk, to the hallway and toilet. Alex ran for the balcony door, and managed to pull the door handle off, unable to hold back, spewed right there. Finally opening the door he ventured outside and spewed to remaining off the balcony onto the main footpath below. Little did he release that he managed to cover a few other things in spew. I showered and returned to the room, still laughing at the heroics of the night past, and wonder why I smelt like vomit, only to find on my towel some of Alex's pasta from last night! We retuned to our habit of sleeping all day and drinking all night, and with beer prices in chile of $1.50 per 500ml it was hard. We managed one trip to the shops in the middle of town before we left. We appeared to be noticeable different to all, maybe it was that we were the only three wearing shorts, shirts and thongs or maybe the stench of four days of soils drinking. All in all I can safely say if I return to Santiago I know a great pub, and could do tourist bus tour and it would all be new to me.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0325s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb