Hot & Cold in Chile


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Santiago Region » Santiago
March 12th 2005
Published: March 12th 2005
Edit Blog Post

I´ve had the best experience of the trip so far and its only day 3. After an initial day spent taking in the sights in Santiago, we wanted to get out of the city and away from the thick smog that covers much of it. So, we decided to take a day trip to the Maipo Valley and the Andes mountains near the Chile-Argentina border.

We trekked to about 3400 metres and took in a spectacular glacier and gazed down at a massive valley, surrounded by imposing snow-capped mountain peaks on all sides. Lunch was had on a ledge overlooking the valley. With a cup of Chilean red wine in one hand and a tuna sandwich in the other, it was almost surreal being in the rocky expanse with not another soul in sight for miles.

An incoming cloud bank brought some cold wind and fine mist with it so it was soon time to head back down the mountain. Our guide seemed determined to set the world record for rocky mountain descents and we hurtled back down at breakneck speed with an ankle sprain only millimetres away I´m sure.

After making the descent we headed to some hot springs about an hour way. It had became quite a bit cooler by then and that, coupled with some soreness from the trek, made the hot mineral waters of the spring that much more enjoyable. Sitting in the rock pool up the side of a mountain and looking out across at the other mountains with a low layer of cloud rolling by was simply amazing. I soaked up the therapeutic mineral waters and scenery in equal amounts. The springs themselves are just a series of pools, of different temperature, set in the middle of nowhere, thankfully untouched by tourists. I can imagine in 20 years time there´ll be coach buses and loud backpackers everywhere but for now, the setting is perfect.

The rest of our time in Santiago has been spent checking out the sights in and around the city centre. We´ve climbed the two hillocks in Santiago - Cerro San Cristobal & Cerra Santa Lucia - which serve as the city´s municipal parks. There are many beautiful old buildings around the PLaza de Armas (the main square) but they seem to lose some of their historical charm being so close to the more modern buildings and shops.

I spotted the Tribunal de Justice downtown and figured I´d wander it and introduce myself to the Chief Justice on Nick´s behalf as a courtesy. Unfortunately, the armed guard at the door didn´t think the NSW-Santiago criminal justice ties were in need of any more strengthening and refused me entry. It must have been because of my newly shaved head and lack of Volume 1 of my criminal law practice.

I´m picking up a few new phrases of Spanish each day and we´re getting by fine in this respect. So far I haven´t inadvertantly mortally insulted anyone when trying to ask where the toilet is. But its early days yet I suppose.

This afternoon its on to Quito, Ecuador and the Galapagos Islands the day afterwards. I´m looking forward to sharing a cup of Ecuadorean wine with a turtle by the beach. Until then...ciao!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.03s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0443s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb