Torremotos in Santiago, Chile


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Santiago Region » Santiago
September 12th 2010
Published: September 16th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Well, it took nine days in total to arrange, but we now have our Indian visa issued by the Indian Embassy in Chile. Now if that's not an interesting stamp for the passport, I'm not sure what is. We decided not to travel without our passports as a Just In Case, so we've been holding up at Casa Roja cooking great food, drinking some excellent wine and seeing the sights of Santiago.

It's been a lovely way to get to know the city. We've found just as much adventure in trying to sort visas, buy fuses for our adaptor (you would not believe how difficult that was) and visit the cinema as we would figuring out long distance buses. A city is a city most of the time, but it's the little things that make them different, like going to a bakery or an electronics shop. You tell the assistant what you want, they right it down on a piece of paper, you go to a different counter to pay for it and then you go and collect your goods. A serious amount of effort for a bread roll or fuse, but it seems to work.

There's a drink
Hostel Casa RojaHostel Casa RojaHostel Casa Roja

We're really enjoying our time here.
that is special to only Santiago and it's called a torremoto, Spanish for earthquake. The name describes the effect the drink has on your legs, as if you're in an earthquake. A pint of sweet wine, a dollop of pineapple ice cream topped off with a generous shot of fernet (a strong dark liquor). One is too much, too would be crazy.

Santiago is set just at the foot of the Andes, sometimes you forget and then on a clear you look up and see the snow capped mountains reminding you how close they are. There is a big hill right in the centre of Santiago, Cerro San Cristobal, which has a statue of Immaculate Conception on the top and an open air church. We took a funicular (we love fun modes of transports) to the top, appreciated the amazing views over the city and walked down and along the river.

The weather has been a bit crazy; one day it's summer, the next it's winter, the next it's a bit like Manchester.. four seasons in one week for sure. Luckily we chose a good day to take a day trip to the beach, a city called Valparaiso.
Our lovely kitchen.Our lovely kitchen.Our lovely kitchen.

where we have cooked some gorgeous food. Lovely to be cooking again.
Renowned as it is surrounded by over twenty hills that have funiculars to help you climb them. The houses are brightly coloured and on Cerro Concepcion (the main hill) there's a whole load of artists who have decorated the buildings with street art (or graffiti - depending on how you look at it). It was a lovely day out.

This weekend Chile is celebrating it's 200 years of independence, which is great as we'll be able to see some serious fiestas. Unfortunately it also means that our travel south has been scuppered. It's a bit of a disappointment, but we'll console ourselves with raising a glass with the locals.

Due to this we've decided to move our flights forward to Hong Kong by a couple of days.

We're off to a winery today and a fiesta in the city on Saturday, so there'll be just one last blog to come for our South American adventure. It's gone so fast, I can't quite believe it.

We hope all is well at home and that the sun is still shining.

Lots of love

S&S

xxxxxxxxx





Additional photos below
Photos: 41, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

And eating..And eating..
And eating..

We had fajitas last night. Yum yum.
A line of Torremotos at La PiojeraA line of Torremotos at La Piojera
A line of Torremotos at La Piojera

Very dangerous! A pint of wine with a dollop of pineapple ice cream topped off with a shot of fernet (a strong dark liquor). One of these babies and you're trying not to fall over.
Cerro San CristobalCerro San Cristobal
Cerro San Cristobal

A big hill in the middle of Santiago.
The funicularThe funicular
The funicular

is a tram that goes up the side of the hill.
FlowersFlowers
Flowers

There's a lovely atmosphere at the top. It's a big outdoor church with music playing and spectacular views of the city with the Andes in the background.
Steve and SantiagoSteve and Santiago
Steve and Santiago

As you can see Santiago is very 'andy for the Andes. [smirks at own joke].
Outside gym.Outside gym.
Outside gym.

We walked down the hill and then along the river for a bit. The river's not up to much but the paths along it are lovely.
StatueStatue
Statue

Balmaceda to the fatherland: because I love it above all else in life."
Vino a la Chile.Vino a la Chile.
Vino a la Chile.

We were amazed to find this nice bottle of red is the same price as beer.
The fall backs of living out of a bag.The fall backs of living out of a bag.
The fall backs of living out of a bag.

I wonder if there are any people out there who travel with an iron.


16th September 2010

Argos
It's like Argos for bread! Love it! Hurrah for Indian visas, can't believe your Americas adventure is nearly over, it's been a hell of a ride! Thanks for the blogs, they've been so much fun to read, keep it up xx
16th September 2010

Argos
It so is like Argos, except you choose your goods by talking to a person. It happened again in the chemist today.. quite odd. Thanks for the lovely blog comment. It's so fab to be able to read myself, I would have forgotten so much without it. Thanks for reading.. you'll be starring in one soon. :O) xx
17th September 2010
Statue

Balmaceda
the translation of the Balmaceda stature reads: "Balmaceda to the fatherland: because I love it above all else in life." it's about how much he loves his country (chile), not a sweet poem about love. cheers!
17th September 2010

Thanks
Cheers for the translation, James.
17th September 2010

Love the blog although I felt a little whoozy just looking at the Toremotos! Beautiful views and excellent street art - you must get Stockport interested in that. You're looking really good Sheryl. Enjoy your last fews day in Chile. We wish you a safe onward journey, with lots of love to you both xxxx
17th September 2010

M&D
Thank you so much xxx
2nd October 2010

So glad you liked Casa Roja and that you got to see Valparaiso too - we loved it there! Makes me want to get on the move again! x
2nd October 2010

Little boxes on a hillside...
We're on Season 4 already!! You got us hooked! x
3rd October 2010

Moving moving moving
It's a bug, isn't it. Yep, loved Valparaiso, just wished we'd made the effort to stay there for a night or two. xx
3rd October 2010

Season 4!!
So wish we had that. I think it goes up to season 5. x
3rd October 2010

ps
I'm glad someone got that! xx

Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0419s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb