Wine...big bath and magic powdery snow


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Santiago Region » Santiago
July 25th 2010
Published: July 31st 2010
Edit Blog Post

Let's put it clear, a good bath, great bed and better bottle of wine at diner should be the way we live everyday. We have rough it for few days in Bolivia...it was really fun, but we are more than happy to get back to some comfort.

Santiago is not on our priority list of cities where we want to live one day in our life...it was not before, it is not today. The Centro Historico is nice, but people don't smile much. The city is pretty developped, but it could be anywhere, not much soul in it. Food is nice, but better in Peru and Argentina. Well, the wine is very nice, even if here, Clos Alpata is a little behind our reach. Yves will understand what we mean about it!

So why do we stop in Santiago...for the snow...the snow...and the snow...plus obviously the wine!

The fun part is that you can ski at 3000 meters altitude during the day and rest in luxury at 650 meters altitude every night in Santiago. There are many skiing resorts to choose from. So if you decide to come for a week, most people will ski two days in each places. There is skiing for everybody, with all sort of slopes...and a lot of slopes. As you may guess, things are not cheap around here, but this is the sad reality of skiing in many places in the world these days.

We chose to go to El Colorado. It was the first proper ski day for Ma'ri. I took her a private lesson in the morning to give her a good start, and for me to have the chance to get down some nice red slopes. The nice part is that they don't really have a baby run for beginner, you go straight on a nice proper slope. And for me...wow...the quality of the snow. Over the last 24 hours, it may have drop over 50 cm of very, I mean very nice powder....and the best, here there is no grooming. This means that a nice red slope transforms early morning into off-track, meaning "off-piste" without all the dangers of the "hors-piste". Safe, but slightly tiring at more than 3000 meters altitude. I had a wonderful morning while Mari was enjoying her class. Little stop later on for lunch, before sharing some time on the slopes with Ma'ri.

Will we be back, for sure! not this year, maybe not next, but great snow...and nice people...and better even...nearly nobody on the slopes. for info, this was a Saturday, you read it...nobody on the slopes, pure untouched powdery snow...try to get this in Europe, well, you won't!

Our next stop...is a little further in another dream place...the trip continue, not over yet. Oh, and I did not tell you...evening, spending it at the W hotel...one of these fancy little place, nice suite, very nice bar...and yes, I've got to admit it, we went to sleep early! Next time, we'll try Portillo and Valle Nevado!


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



31st July 2010

over and under.........you go!
Over the mountains, under the water...........hi there Mr. Adventurer. Your "apprentice" Mari seems to be doing real well with the diving, and now skiing lessons. Way to go, you two! Celebrate life --- and share ur adventures with us via blogs. Cheers!

Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 10; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0275s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb