A Castle In The Middle of Santiago?


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Santiago Region » Santiago
August 28th 2009
Published: August 29th 2009
Edit Blog Post

So, the weather is starting to get a lot better here, and because of that and "my" student metro card, I'v began to explore Santiago more. The other day Niki and I took line 5 to Plaza De Armas, and decided to walk to the La Moneda. On our way we discovered a pedestrian only road in the hard of the old city, we followed that for a while, got a little lost and found the Santiago stock exchange. We ended up finding La Moneda and started walking back to U. Chile for class. On the way we saw a really big castle in the center of the city, so we said we would go back to it the next day with good weather and free time.
The next tuesday was that day, the weather was great, and we had 5 hours between our classes. The castle is in Parque Santa Lucia, and has tons of trees!!!! and paths for walking. There's also a lot of fountains. From the top of the castle its posable to see most of Santiago, unfortunately there was a lot of smog the day that we went, so its hard to see the mountains, and the new financial district of the city.
After the park we decided to walk towards the river though the barrio called Bellas Artes, its a nice neighborhood with many cafe's (unfortunately without legs). It's still apart of the old city, so the architecture is somewhat traditional and there are some pedestrian only roads. From Bellas Artes, we followed Parque Forestral to Plaza Italia where the giant cellphone building is, and followed Alameda back to U. Chile.
Also the other night, my family and I went to a restaurant near Estacion Central, named El Hoyo, sound familiar? Well it should if you watch Anthony Bourdain's "No Reservations." He visited El Hoyo when he made his Chile episode. The food is traditional Chilean meets. I had blood sausage, cow tongue, pig foot, and plain old fashion pork, all accompanied with a terramoto, which its basically pineapple ice-cream covered in white wine. It was "super rica" or supper good in english.

So I'm going to a cafe con piernas (coffee with legs) soon, so thats what my next entry will be about.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Old City SantiagoOld City Santiago
Old City Santiago

Yeah, It was sunnier than this looks, It's just my camera, and a little bit of the smog.


Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0413s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb