Haven't the foggiest Manuel


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Santiago Region » Santiago
June 8th 2008
Published: June 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Well, leg two of my travels has got off to a good start.

After what was meant to be a mere 12 hour flight from Frankfurt to Sao paulo turned into a 16 hour affair with an unscheduled stop for fuel at an airport that was in the middle of nowhere and a runway barely long enough to take the 747 we were on ( as we had been flying around Brazil waiting for the airport to open due to fog), I finally arrived in a very foggy Sao paulo. Great I thought, now only a short flight to Santiago. Wrong!! flight was cancelled due to all the fog. So I was stuck in a hotel until getting a flight at the unearthly hour of 4am. The only upside was making use of the free food on offer in the plush hotel restaurant ( stingy airlines made us pay for our drinks!!)

Have also realized that a crash course in Spanish might help me in the coming months - saying 'Si' like Manuel from Fawlty Towers isn't going to get me very far on this trip !!! - It might be time to invest in a pocket phrasebook ( don´t know why I thought I could ever get away without one is beyond me really!!)

Finally made it to Santiago at lunchtime on the 7th, and I´ve got to say it is an impressive way to arrive, the view coming in to land of the Andes was amazing - just a shame that as were were descending we couldn´t use cameras, as I would have loved to have gotten some pictures.

I am currently staying in a hotel in Santiago that bears more than a passing resemblence of the house used in the Addams Family - with staff to match!!! - still you have to say it certainly has an atmosphere!!!

Off to go and sample the delights of Santiago today, and see what I can find - apart from they do seem to have a slight obsession with hotdogs - there are stands everywhere, and guess what you get as part of your breakfast - yep - hotdogs!!





Advertisement



8th June 2008

A "dogged" Journey
Is Manwell after "dogged" journey from Frankfurt(er) to "Chile" Hotdog? - "mustard" been hell. "Chor-i-zo" for now or adi`os Love Mum.
8th June 2008

Chilli
Don't mention the Malvinas. Chile are good pals, but there are Argies next door! Santiago is a great run ashore, so long as you don't tread on the hot dogs. Pity so much fog, else you'd have seen some seriosuly Himalayan matching scenery! Chilean Cab Sauvignon very good quality and when I was last there (1987) we were paying 91p a bottle for some really good stuff. Casino Macul is worth a bracer! Don't break yersel this time Trev!!!
9th June 2008

What type of dog I wonder?.....
Well sounds like you made it with your camera, good work Trevor! I'm just wondering what type of heinz 57 you're getting in those hotdogs, or is it chilli's finest like labrador, german shepherd, collie, too funny!? Still next stop hot guinea pigs, yum!!! Take care x

Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.074s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb