It´s not chilly in Chile


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Santiago Region » Santiago
January 15th 2008
Published: January 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We had already booked our hostel in Chile, so it was straight in a cab from the airport, which was handy because it was 7am and we hadn´t had much sleep.

We are all taking it in turns to research a country and plan an itinery and I am organising Chile. So after a few hours rest I rounded up my tour group and we went to lunch, having a few bottles of white wine sitting in the sun. We then went to Santa Lucia park, for views over the city. On the way home we managed to find an office licence so we got some wine costing us 1.75 pounds a bottle, and very nice it was too!

The next morning we got a funicular and cable car for more views over the city. We also went to a public swimming pool (although none of us actually swum) and had a sunbathe. Later in the afternoon we went horse racing. We got tickets for the best stand which cost 3 pounds for the boys and was free for Mandy and I. After watching a race and the betting we placed our first bets and won nothing. However by the end of the evening we had 3 winners, and 2 seconds. We didn´t make a profit but had a great time.

We then went for drinks at a famous bar in Santiago, La Piojera. We had their own drink called Terremoto (earthquake) which was made of pineapple ice cream, wine and another liquor. If you have too many you walk like there is an earthquake. We decided to only have one, then switched to wine. It was a really good atmosphere and we got talking to many people during the course of the night. The evening was finished off by us being driven home by a bloke who looked just like Maradona.

The following day we went to the centro area, and saw the Cathedral and some museums. The Cathedral was one of the best we have been in, partly because it was Sunday morning and there was a service in progress.

Our final day in Santiago was a trip to the Concha y Toro vineyard just outside Santiago. It was a good tour, we saw the vineyards, and two of the cellars and tasted 3 different wines. We then went to the bar and tried another few glasses before deciding we ought to go home before we had too much! We also got the last of Chris´birthday presents.

Later today we are getting a bus to Valporaiso, a town a few hours from Santiago. We are spending a few days there, then we are going to Talca (which is the heart of the red wine region) where we are going on a wine and spa day to celebrate Chris´birthday, which is on the 19th.

I have realised re-reading the above that I talk about wine a lot, but we have tried so many different wines because they are so good and so cheap.

Love to you all

Tina
















Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.037s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0198s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb