Santiago


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Santiago Region » Santiago
January 13th 2008
Published: January 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Cerro Saint LuciaCerro Saint LuciaCerro Saint Lucia

A great view of the surrounding moutains. See, through the smog, just over there ...
Well, my last full day in Chile. And it's hot, hot, hot!

It's a lovely, balmy 32 degrees celsius, in the bowl that is Santiago. You see, it's built on a flat plain and surrounded by mountains all around. Tends to catch and hold the pollution. Which actually isn't too bad right now I'm told, because like Paris, Santiagoans leave the city in droves during their summer.

Good thing too, because I got some pics of the surrounding mountains.

This'll be a quick entry because there's not a lot happening. Got here yesterday and spent the day wandering the city and climbing the two small peaks in town. The first, just across from my hotel, is Cerro St. Lucia, and is completely covered with towers, parapets, and gardens, plust the beautiful Neptune's Fountain. The second, a little farther away, is Cerro San Cristobal and is topped by a 15 foot statue of the Virgin Mary. Kind of contemplative up there, if you can ignore the hordes of tourists.

But there's a great little place to have a beer and watch people and the great views. Especially of the snow-capped Colorados to the east.

Today has been museum and city sights day. The Fine Arts Museum and the Plaza des Armes (built in celebration of Chile's indepenence in the 1830s, I think ... oh, I dunno, getting a little detailed out lately) were the best. Although I don't know what the sculpture of the guy holding his own head is supposed to mean.

Hope all is well back home, and I'll see you all soon. Take care for now!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Cerro San CristobalCerro San Cristobal
Cerro San Cristobal

A great view from the pub. Oh, and the statute is just behind the camera here ...
Huh?Huh?
Huh?

Couldn't figure out why a computer store was called Quebec, but hey, it's Chile.
Don't Lose Ur HeadDon't Lose Ur Head
Don't Lose Ur Head

A brilliant sculpture in Plaza de Armas.
Gallery of Fine ArtsGallery of Fine Arts
Gallery of Fine Arts

Incredible light through the glass roof ...


14th January 2008

quebec computer store
i know why - nothing in there is compatible with anything else outside of the country.

Tot: 0.129s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 14; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0685s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb