The Big Smoke


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Santiago Region » Santiago
April 5th 2007
Published: April 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

It is quite a mission getting 29 people into a hotel. We stayed at the Hotel Espana near the Plaza de Armes. The truck had to park illegally and we had to get everything off in a big hurry, dodging cars and people on the way. Our luggage filled the foyer of the hotel when we were finished.

We got a nice double bed in a big room. The hotel was definitely a little run down, but it was functional. Breaky was chaos, the couldn't bring out the food fast enough for our huge group.

We spent Good Friday walking around. It was very quiet being a holiday and museums were closed. We found some markets open where we bought a few things and went up Cerro San Cristóbal. There is a tram type thing to the top where there is a statue of the virgin mary. Lots of people were visiting on the holiday. There is a cable car down the other side of the hill and there were great views on both sides.

On Saturday we went to the local markets with Jacqui. It is extensive. Lots of fruit and veg and a great fish market. We also had a bit to eat there. Empanadas with cheese. They were delicious and very cheap.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Smartly dressed manSmartly dressed man
Smartly dressed man

The first governor of Santiago .. I think
At the top of Cerro San CristóbalAt the top of Cerro San Cristóbal
At the top of Cerro San Cristóbal

Lots of visitors on Good Friday
The cable carThe cable car
The cable car

Bit scary


Tot: 0.174s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 29; qc: 115; dbt: 0.0955s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb