Day 2 - Full Day in Santiago


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Santiago Region » Santiago
October 6th 2018
Published: October 7th 2018
Edit Blog Post

We spent today with our friends and locals, Pakita and Emanuel whom we met in Vietnam three years ago. Emanuel had to work in the morning so Pakita came out and met us 10:30am at our apartment. As the museums are closed on Mondays, we were keen to visit the Chilean Museum of Pre-Columbian Art and the nearby Monseda Palace. Our timing was perfect as there was a large crowd gathered at the rear of the Palace for the Changing of the Guard and we got there just as they were starting. It was very entertaining as there was a brass band playing music including a tune my father use to always whistle or hum.

When that finished we walked around to the front of the Palace for a look and then went into the Cultural Centre which had a special exhibition about Whales and the preservation of sea life. There also happened to be market stalls and we all know how much Daisy hates markets. we walked around tasting samples of food before walking over to the Museum.

The museum was very good and is highly recommended, a really good and extensive display. We spent a lot of time walking through and Emanuel met us there about half-way through. By the end it was about 3pm so we decided it was time for a late lunch so we walked back to the Cultural Centre car park where Emanuel had parked.

Drove to the Bella Vista area to the Golinda restaurant where we tried a smoked pork dish called costillas de cardo and the corn pie which out guide from yesterday had nominated as the Chilean national dish. All yummy and very filling. We were very close to the funicular entrance of Cerro San Cristobal, the highest hill in Santiago so we lined up for 40 minutes to get our combined funicular/cable car return tickets. They even had seniors discounts which we were granted. It was worth the wait as the views of Santiago with the mountains surrounding it were spectacular. We walked to the highest point which has a large statue of the Virgin Mary. Then a short walk to the cable car which also had more spectacular views of Santiago. This took down another aide of the hill and we simply returned the same way.

By now it was about 7:30pm and we drove to the Lastarria area for dinner where we had Chilean sandwiches which are different types of bread rolls with a selection of fillings. I had one with tender shredded beef and cheese and it was very nice. Daisy had a Chilean dessert, leche asada which was also very yummy. We were now very close to our apartment and it took just 3 minutes to drive home. We will see Pakita and Emanuel again tomorrow for our day trip to Valparaiso.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0262s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1014.6kb