Driving and trekking...


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Magallanes » Torres del Paine
January 15th 2009
Published: January 16th 2009
Edit Blog Post

from where i left off.... i need to catch up before i leave again for my next place on interest and get further behind.... we left el calafate a little later than expected due to the long night the night before but we ended up leaving town around noon and driving about 10 hours by car in Chile to a town called puerto natales just outside parque nacional torres del paine.. found a place to stay and called it a night.. it wasnt a very interesting day but at least we got to stop when we wanted as opposed to a bus. it was funny though because we had bought a bunch of food that we planned on eating for lunch dinner and maybe breakfast.. only to find out we couldnt bring any of it into chile due to agricultural reasons... so we stopped between border check points and stuffed as much food as we possibly could... david, already being full didnt want to waste his apples even though he was full so he took to turning them into juice and spitting out the pulp... it was an interesting binge of food... either way upon entering town there is a 4meter high statue of a ¨mildon´ a supposedly huge sloth that jsut went extinct in the last century... we are not sure if it is the same thing as the loch ness monster or bigfoot.. but nonetheless interesting.. not nething terribly interesting after that. the next day we headed into the national park and saw rabbits, gunaco´s (kinda like lammas) and some ostrich like creature, lots of rabbits, flamingo´s and couple types of foxes.. we did a couple of treks.. walking close to another glacier and watching the chunks that had falled off get windswept across the lake.. we left the park at midnight... jsut as the last light was leaving the sky as it is light for about 18hours a day here.. then it was a little drive back to puerto natales where we saw a bunch of animals that got scarred in the headlights and stood still... before i met these guys i had planned on doing a 5 day trek in the park but upon talking to someone who did an 8 day trek im glad we drove and took small hikes... the woman who hiked 8 days never saw flamingos foxes or the ostrich like creatures because there were so many people.. so even though we spent much less time in the park we saw quite a bit more wildlife... this was also a great day as most was spent trekking and significantly better that sitting in the car all day... this day was actually monday... we then drove to a small town north of ushuaia on tuesday and then arrived into ushuaia on wednesday... so technically i was incorrect to publish the last blog as the end of the world, while even though i was here, it wasnt about that place... either way... my next blog will be about where i am currently..

the tip of south america...

the so called END OF THE WORLD.....

Advertisement



Tot: 0.136s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0462s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb