Christmas Ferry and New Year's Aches / Ferry Navideño y Achaques de Año Nuevo


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Magallanes » Puerto Natales
December 25th 2005
Published: February 8th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Christmas Ferry


Additional maps: Complete Route / Ruta Completa

With a bottle of Baileys, another one of Martini, and more chocolate and nuts than we could possibly have eaten in a week, we boarded the ferry to spend the following 4 days on the water.

The trip promised to be a collection of experiences and wonderful views sailing through the Chilean fjords. The guys in the marketing department certainly deserve a pat on the back for the splendid job they've done in fooling people into believing 4 days on a cargo ferry was going to be anything like a cruise on the Love Boat (how many of you remember the 70s?). Also, they very conveniently fail to mention the fact that they transport livestock in cages that let all the smells swift through the dormitory doors at every opportunity, nor do they warn you about the disturbing mooing you can hear day and night from the obviously distressed animals that are made to travel in dreadful conditions.

Still, we had it better than some of our room mates... Our dormitory was to be shared with another 20 people, and we didn’t harbour much hope to either get much rest nor to have much privacy... but since Maria is so friendly (speaking the lingo certainly helps), the guy who assigned the rooms must have liked her as he gave us a room at the end of the corridor in a corner and he did not put anybody else in there with us (the "rooms" have 4 bunks each). Obviously it did help that the boat was only 80% full, but still. What a luxury! Far better than the poor sods who had to sleep in the middle of the corridor next to the toilets, where, aside from noise and smells, they had to endure a nasty draught every time somebody opened a door.

We had to embark at 9pm (although we didn’t weigh anchor until 4 or 5 am), and after one calm night we arose for breakfast the following day, hoping to enjoy spectacular views from the deck. Yeah, right! It's not that we couldn't see much, we couldn't see anything at all! An impenetrable "pea-soup" fog engulfed the landscape, which was a pity, because it is actually on the first day when you sail through the narrowest points of the trip and you can appreciate nature’s work from a short distance, the rest is not so spectacular. Although in any case we did realise the Chilean fjords are a far cry from the Norwegian ones, at least judging by the photos we have seen of them. We guess this is because they are not so high or perhaps it is that as the channels are very wide and the ferry sails right through the center, as you don’t see them from close up they do not seem so imposing.

We also missed a glacier due to the fog, which was a disappointment for many people; but after seeing the ones near El Calafate it was not a great loss for us. Once the fog had lifted a little, it then rained for the rest of the day, so we had to leave the stroll on the deck for another day.

A visit to a tiny (less than 200 inhabitants) fishing village, Puerto Edén, was planned for the second day (Christmas eve). The village itself was only inaugurated in 1969, but it has been a Kawesqar settlement for many centuries. The last seven (pure 100%!)(MISSING) surviving Kawesqar indians live in the village, although only the two older ones speak the language, which is along with "Yaghan" the last indigenous language of Chile.

The race is condemned to extinction, as only 2 of the 7 remaining indians are women and one of them is already too old to have children. The most peculiar characteristic of the Kawesqar was that they used to live in canoes. The canoe was their home, their transport through the channels, their way of life. The men hunted sea lions and the women fished for mollusks and crustaceans; they lived naked and this is how they also went into in the water, but covered themselves in sea lion’s fat to protect themselves from the cold. The children were responsible for keeping a bonfire constantly burning in the center of the canoe. Not sure how the managed not to set it on fire though!

The village is very small but very picturesque, both because of its small brightly painted houses and because of its location. It doesn’t have any terrestrial route to connect it to the outside world, and depends on the ferry’s weekly visits for provisions. As the bay is not deep enough for the ferry, it was the villagers themselves who came to pick us up in boats so we could visit the village, which we only could enjoy for one hour before having to return to the ferry.

The weather had improved considerably and we could enjoy the landscape much more during our passage through the channels. We sailed through the straits appreciating the flora that covers entire mountains to both sides of the boat, these were quite impressive as they come out of the water in practically vertical walls.

After a few hours we arrived at "Captain Leónidas", a Greek ship that ran aground about 40 years ago. Rusted with the passage of time, it has an eerie look - if there had been fog that day it would have been easy to imagine some sailor ghosts saluting us from the deck.

The history of the ship is quite funny actually. The "Captain Leónidas" was bringing a consignment of sugar from the Caribbean with an agreement to sell it in three different places. But on his first destination the captain was offered such a high price that he decided to sell the whole shipment. To avoid trouble in the next two destinations and, whilst at it, get some more money from the insurance company,
Small boat - Big boat / Barco pequeño - barco grandeSmall boat - Big boat / Barco pequeño - barco grandeSmall boat - Big boat / Barco pequeño - barco grande

We were glad to continue our journey in the big one! ********** ¡Nos alegramos de continuar nuestro viaje en el grande!
he decided to try and sink the ship. The site that he chose was the point where 80 years earlier an English boat had been shipwrecked, when it hit a submerged needle point rock. But this 'cunning plan' backfired. Instead of being shipwrecked, it got stuck in the remains of the sunken boat, and there it is still and for the rest of eternity by the looks of it: it doesn't sink, it doesn't break, it doesn't tilt to either side... it just sits there. When the police arrived, the captain assured them that the sugar had dissolved in the water. But when they asked "and what happened to the sacks that contained the sugar?" he couldn't find a convincing answer, so he lost his ship and his license, received a fine and a 3 year prison sentence. What a dimwit. But as the saying goes, every cloud has a silver lining. Since this occurrence those rocks appear in the navigation charts, with the name of the shipwrecked English boat - Cotopaxi.

That afternoon we entered the Golfo de Penas (Gulf of Pains) and headed out into open sea. And with that the easy, calm cruise ended. Impossible to walk down a corridor without losing your balance, it was like one of our best adolescent drunken nights, but without having had a drop. Fortunately, organised as we are, we had slightly overdosed on sickness tablets so not only were we able to eat the turkey at supper but to actually keep it down throughout the evening and sleep soundly and peacefully that night. Success.

Next day, Christmas day and our last day on board. Beautifully sunny outside so everyone rushed outside wearing shorts and t-shirts to hog a seat on the deck. This was the day we got to chat to more people. Two Spanish guys travelling for a couple of months, a Dutch guy with his wife also travelling for a few months, and the ones who inspired us most, an American couple who have been travelling for 2.5 years, and with no intention nor desire to go back anytime soon either! Granted, they do have a clear advantage over us - they are retired and have a steady income through what must be a pretty good pension (their budget was around 3 times ours), so their situation is somewhat different, but in any case they must be setting something of a record... good for them!!

That night we played "the best bingo in Patagonia" (or so the girls of the crew told us) with the rest of the passengers, which kept us all amused for a while. Luckily we did not win anything - we already have too much weight in our rucksacks! For this reason we also asked Father Christmas not to bring us any presents this year - after all, the trip itself is a Christmas, birthday and anniversary present for both for at least the next couple of years...

And that was our Christmas. The following day we disembarked nice and early in Puerto Montt, took one look at it and decided it was a great place to leave... so we immediately took a bus to take us to Bariloche, back in Argentina. As Maria's foot had been getting more and more painful as the days went by, she decided to see a proper podiatrist this time and was told the "callus" was actually a blinking verruca!! So she decided to take some drastic action to get rid of it as quickly as possible and a friendly dermatologist burnt it out the next day. Ouch. That meant 2 days of not being allowed to walk further than the loo or the kitchen to avoid the risk of infection, and a further week or so of rest to allow it to heal nicely. It was 10 days before she could put a shoe on, let alone walk "properly". Mark was supposed to be doing all the cooking and fussing about, but he (very conveniently) decided to catch a really stinking cold. Tsk. Some people will do just about anything...

So basically we got stuck in Bariloche for about 3 weeks. Luckily the hostel had free internet (when it worked), 2 TVs and free DVDs to watch (limited and pirated selection but since it was free...), and even a mini pub for guests on the first floor. Also a kitchen in which to prepare your own meals, which was really handy. So not too bad a place to be stuck in.

New Year's Day. So Mark's got a cold and Maria's lame. What a party couple! Thankfully the hostel organised dinner and champagne and lots of people were tricked into believing it'd be a rave and after paying the somewhat extortionate
Tense moment... / Momento de tensión...Tense moment... / Momento de tensión...Tense moment... / Momento de tensión...

... when we hit the iceberg!! ********** ... ¡cuando chocamos contra el iceberg!
price we were actually quite lucky to spend the night in great company. A big hello to Stephen & Sarah and Paul & Janet who may be reading this! The picture was taken later in the night with other people we got chatting to - sorry Paul & Janet, you'd already called it a night and we didn't catch you for it!

So, a few days later, just when Maria's foot was good enough to do some gentle walking on and Mark's cold had gone... it started raining. Great! So what can you do in Argentina's chocolate capital when it's cold and wet outside?? Well, go and eat as much of it as you can of course!! Soooo nice. All these shops with endless choices and so many calories to enjoy. Had to be done - it would've been rude not to.

So, to find out when we managed to get to know the lakes around Bariloche and see some photos, you will have to wait a little still, for this is already next page's material...



******************************************************************************************

Con una botella de Baileys, otra de Martini, y más chocolate y nueces de las que nos
View from the boat / Vista desde el barcoView from the boat / Vista desde el barcoView from the boat / Vista desde el barco

no idea where though ********** pero ni idea donde está
podríamos comer en una semana, nos subimos al ferry para pasar los siguientes 4 días en el agua.

El viaje prometía ser una colección de experiencias y vistas maravillosas navegando por los fiordos chilenos, y con esa esperanza embarcamos. Desde luego que los del departamento de marketing se merecen una palmadita en la espalda por el espléndido trabajo que han hecho en convencer a la gente de que 4 días en un ferry de mercancías iba a ser algo parecido a un crucero en el Princesa del Pacífico (¿cuántos de vosotros os acordáis de los 70?). También muy convenientemente se olvidan de mencionar que aparte de pasajeros tranportan ganado en jaulas que dejan que los olores se filtren por las puertas de los dormitorios a la menor oportunidad, ni te advierten acerca de los inquietantes mugidos que se escuchan dia y noche, provenientes de los aterrados animales a los que obligan a viajar en condiciones terribles.

Pero al menos salimos mejor parados que otros. Nuestro dormitorio iba a ser uno compartido con otras 20 personas, y no albergábamos muchas esperanzas ni de descansar gran cosa ni de tener mucha privacidad... pero como una es así de simpática, le debí gustar al que nos asignó las literas, y como el barco sólo iba al 80% de su capacidad, nos dió unas al final del pasillo en un rincón y no puso a nadie más con nosotros (las "habitaciones" son de 4 literas) ¡menudo lujo! Mucho mejor que los pobres a quien les tocó estar en medio del pasillo junto a los baños, donde aparte de ruido y olores llegaba una corriente de espanto cada vez que se abría una puerta.

Tuvimos que embarcar a las 9 de la noche (aunque no zarpamos hasta las 4 o 5 de la madrugada), y tras una noche tranquila al día siguiente nos levantamos para el desayuno esperando disfrutar de vistas espectaculares desde la cubierta. ¡Ja! No es que se viera poco, no se veía nada de nada. Una niebla impenetrable tipo "puré de guisantes" nos tapaba absolutamente todo el paisaje, lo que fue una verdadera pena, pues precisamente es el primer día cuando se atraviesan los pasos más estrechos del viaje y se puede ver el paisaje de cerca, el resto no es tan espectacular. Aunque de todas formas sí nos dimos cuenta de que los fiordos chilenos no tienen comparación con los noruegos, al menos por las fotos que hemos visto de ambos. No sé si porque no son tan altos o simplemente porque como los canales son muy anchos y el ferry navega bien por el centro, al no acercarse tanto no parecen tan imponentes.

También nos perdimos un glaciar por la niebla, lo que supuso una decepción para mucha gente; pero para nosotros después de haber visto otros mucho más de cerca no supuso una gran pérdida. El resto del día, una vez se levantó la niebla un poco, estuvo lloviendo, así que hubo que dejar el paseo por cubierta para otro día.

Para el segundo día (víspera de Navidad) estaba programado el desembarco en una pequeña población pesquera, Puerto Edén, que cuenta con menos de 200 habitantes. El pueblo en sí sólo fue creado en el 1969, pero desde siglos atrás ha sido un asentamiento Kawesqar. Los últimos siete (100%!p(MISSING)uros) indios kawesqar que quedan viven en el pueblo, aunque sólo los dos más ancianos hablan el idioma, que es junto con el "yaghan" el último de los lenguajes indígenas de Chile. La raza está condenada a la extinción, pues sólo 2 de los 7 que quedan son mujeres y una de ellas es ya demasiado mayor para tener hijos.

La característica más curiosa de los Kawesqar era que vivían en canoas. La canoa era su hogar, su medio de transporte por los canales, su forma de vida. Los hombres cazaban lobos marinos y las mujeres pescaban moluscos y crustáceos; vivían desnudos y así se internaban en el agua, pero para protegerse del frío de la misma se cubrían en grasa de lobo marino. Los niños eran los encargados de mantener una hoguera ardiendo constantemente en el centro de la canoa. ¡Lo que no sabemos es como hacían para no prenderla fuego!

El pueblo es minúsculo pero muy pintoresco, tanto por sus casitas de diferentes colores como por su enclave. No tiene ninguna vía terrestre de contacto con el mundo exterior, y depende de las visitas del ferry para traerles provisiones. Como la bahía no tiene suficiente profundidad para el ferry, son los mismos habitantes quienes vinieron a recogernos en canoas para el desembarco en el pueblo, del que sólo pudimos disfrutar una hora antes de tener que volver a embarcar.

El tiempo había mejorado considerablemente y pudimos disfrutar mucho más del paisaje durante nuestra travesía por los canales. Navegamos por canales lo bastante estrechos como para apreciar la vegetación que cubre las montañas a ambos lados del barco, impresionante ver como salen del agua en paredes prácticamente verticales y las plantas y los árboles crecen a placer cubriendo cada centímetro cuadrado de superficie.

A las pocas horas llegamos hasta el "Capitán Leonidas", un barco griego que encalló hace unos 40 años. Oxidado con el paso del tiempo, tiene un aspecto fantasmal, y si hubiesemos tenido niebla ese día apuesto a que nos habría parecido ver a algún espectro marinero a bordo saludándonos desde cubierta.

La historia del barco es graciosa. El "Capitán Leónidas" traía un cargamento de azúcar proveniente del Caribe con un acuerdo para venderlo en tres sitios diferentes. Pero le ofrecieron al capitán un precio tan alto en el primer destino, que decidió vender el cargamento entero. Para no meterse en problemas, decidió hacer naufragar al barco, y de paso cobrar el dinero del seguro. El sitio que eligió fue el punto donde 80 años antes había naufragado un buque inglés, al chocar contra unas rocas sumergidas en forma de aguja. Pero le salió el tiro por la culata. En vez de naufragar, se quedó encallado en los hierros del barco hundido, y así sigue... ni se hunde, ni se rompe, ni se ladea ni se mueve del sitio donde quedó atrapado. Cuando llegó la policia, el capitán les aseguró que el azúcar se había disuelto en el agua. Pero cuando le preguntaron "¿y qué ha pasado con los sacos dónde iba el azúcar?" no supo darles una respuesta convincente, con lo que se quedó sin barco y sin licencia, y a cambio recibió una multa y 3 años de prisión. Qué pánfilo. Pero como dice el refrán, no hay mal que por bien no venga... desde entonces figuran esas rocas sumergidas en las cartas de navegación, con el nombre del barco inglés naufragado - Cotopaxi.

Esa tarde nos internamos en el Golfo de Penas y salimos a mar abierto. Y lo que hasta entonces había sido una travesía tranquila dejó de serlo. Imposible moverte un paso sin perder el equilibrio, era como una de mis mejores noches de borrachera adolescente, pero sin haber tomado una gota. Pero previsores que somos, nos habíamos tomado una mini-sobredosis de pastillas para el mareo y no sólo conseguimos comernos el pavo de la cena y que se quedara dentro, sino que también dormimos a pierna suelta sin enterarnos del incesante vaivén.

Día siguiente, Navidad y último día a bordo. Amaneció con un sol espléndido y una temperatura veraniega ideal para intentar pillar algo de bronceado, y la cubierta se llenó de gente que parecían tener justo éste propósito en mente. Fue el día en que charlamos con más gente. Un par de chicos vascos de viaje por un par de meses, un holandés también de viaje de varios meses con su mujer, y los que más nos inspiraron, un matrimonio americano que llevan 2.5 viajando, sin fecha para regresar ni ganas tampoco. Claro que ellos están jubilados y deben tener buena pensión, con lo cual su situación es algo diferente a la nuestra, pero de todas formas es todo un record.

Esa noche jugamos al "mejor bingo de la Patagonia" (o eso aseguraban las chicas de la tripulación) con el resto de los pasajeros, fue divertido y por suerte no ganamos nada - ¡ya llevamos demasiado peso en la mochila! Por este motivo también pedimos a papá noel que no nos trajese regalos (de todas maneras el viaje en sí es un regalo de navidad, reyes y cumpleaños para ambos por lo menos para los dos próximos años).

Y ese fue nuestro día de Navidad. Al siguiente desembarcamos tempranito en Puerto Montt, pero el sitio no nos inspiró como para quedarnos a pasar allí la noche, así que tomamos un bus con destino a Bariloche, en Argentina.

Como yo ya venía con el pie a rastras porque el callo cada vez me dolía más, al día siguiente me fui a una podóloga quien me comunicó que lamentablemente no era un callo, sino ¡una maldita verruga! y que por eso me dolía tanto. Una verruga es un virus, echa raiz y si sale en un pie al estar en constante presión con el calzado y el suelo no puede "salir" y crece hacia dentro, así que había que cargárselo cuanto antes porque iba ya coja perdida. Decidí ir por el camino más rápido y con más garantía de éxito (si bien algo más inconveniente) y me fuí a ver a un dermatólogo que me lo extirpó a la mañana siguiente. Acto seguido tuve que estar 3 días sin ponerme ni un calcetín y sin poder salir a la calle para evitar riesgo de infección. Aún tardé otra semana en poder siquiera calzarme, y 10 días en poder empezar a caminar como una persona normal.

Mark, que se supone me iba a estar cuidando, decidió en cambio que ese era el momento perfecto para pillarse un resfriado de camello y estuvo también "fuera de acción" durante una semana. ¡¡Desde luego es que algunos hacen cualquier cosa para librarse de trabajar!!

Total, que nos quedamos "atrapados" en Bariloche unas 3 semanas entre unas cosas y otras. Por suerte el hostel tenía internet gratis, 2 TVs y préstamo de DVDs gratis (selección limitada y pirateada pero a caballo regalado...), y hasta un mini pub para residentes en la primera planta. También una cocina en la que poder preparar comidas, lo que me evitó tener que salir para comer. Total, que no era un mal sitio en el que estar "encerrado".

Nochevieja. Mark resfriado y yo coja. ¡Como para salir a bailar! Menudo par. Si es que no se nos puede llevar a ningún sitio. Por suerte en el hostel organizaron una fiesta con cena y brindis de champán incluido y se quedó mucha gente, y tuvimos suerte de pasar la noche en muy buena compañía.

Unos días más tarde, según mi pie y Mark iban mejorando y pensábamos que ya íbamos a poder salir y explorar el área, caigo yo (era inevitable, medio hostel estaba resfriado ya a estas alturas). Y cuando se me pasó, el tiempo pegó un cambio y se puso a llover a mares. Así que, ¿que puede hacer uno en la "capital argentina del chocolate" cuando llueve y hace frio? ¡Pues salir y ponerse morado, por supuesto! Qué placer para el paladar. Todas esas tiendas con una selección sin fin de chocolates de todos los tamaños y colores, y todas esas calorías que disfrutar. Tuvimos que hacerlo - hubiera sido de mala educación si no.

Y para saber cuándo logramos por fín salir a conocer los lagos y ver fotos y saber más acerca de la zona, tendréis que esperar pues esto es ya material para otra página...

Advertisement



5th June 2010

from puerto eden
muy bien los felicito, por su entusiasmo de viajar por el mundo ,yo soy de puerto eden , si regresasn por este pueblo bienbnidos a mi casa ,no es muy grande pero un café les ragalare ,saludos ,buen blog daniel desde puerto eden ,magallanes ,Chile.
15th December 2012
Captain Leonidas / Capitán Leonidas

I took a video
Here: http://youtu.be/zant6ES1eDU

Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 8; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0336s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb