Torres del Paine


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Magallanes » Torres del Paine
December 20th 2005
Published: January 25th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Puerto Natales / Torres del Paine


Los Cuernos del Paine (Paine Horns)Los Cuernos del Paine (Paine Horns)Los Cuernos del Paine (Paine Horns)

From Salto Grande viewpoint ********** Desde el mirador del Salto Grande
After another wobbly, 5 hour long journey back to El Calafate, we only had a couple of hours to spare before our next bus; this one would take us through the border into Chile, and our next destination, the small town of Puerto Natales.

As we were arriving quite late (11pm), we had decided to book accommodation ahead. It wouldn’t have been necessary; as soon as we stepped off the coach somebody offered us a room in a hostel. This has happened a few times already, and we wonder why is it that whenever you need accommodation nobody harasses you, and when you don’t there’s always at least one punter trying to get you to his hotel?!?

Anyway, we later came to wish we had risked it. The place we had booked via the internet proved to be a bit of a “museum of horrors”. There were stuffed animals covering the couch and littering the stairs which seemed to be the work of a sadistic maniac rather than a taxidermist. Creepy. The stupid woman was also so obsessed with selling us excursions and hiring us all available camping equipment that we actually had to ask her whether she could at least show us where the bathroom was. Wish we hadn’t. That campsite in El Chaltén suddenly seemed cosy. Never tried so hard not to touch anything with our bare hands. And the bedroom! Not only were the walls plastered with images of Jesus, Saints and the Pope, we actually found the landlady’s underwear in the drawers. We thought "this is HER bedroom!!!". Eeeeeeeuuuuuuuk!! Needn’t say more. We slept in our sleeping bags that night.

The following morning we left as quickly as we could manage to look for alternative accommodation. The place was deserted apart from a character that looked like Uncle Fester (have you seen the Adams Family?). We don't know if he was deaf, dumb, retarded, or all three, but we couldn't communicate with him nor would he take money off people (this happened to another girl) so we thought we'd better get out of there before the Munsters' grandfather came to claim payment. What a horrible place.

Moral of the story: try before you buy. We found a cheaper place, modest but clean, and the owner was also much more pleasant, he spoke to us as if he was a distant uncle we hadn't seen in some time. Very sweet.

There isn't a lot to do in Puerto Natales, it is rather a small city that people merely use as a base to visit the Torres del Paine National Park, and that was precisely our intention. We guess the funniest thing that happened there was the very loud and horribly distorted music that filtered through the walls into our bedroom. We thought it must be somebody in a nearby room, but after opening the door we realised the racket actually came from outside. "Noisy neighbours" we thought, but when we went out later it turned to be the church, 3 blocks away, playing Christmas carols through loudspeakers located behind the bells in the tower. Amen.

So after taking a one-day break to sort out transportation and hire better sleeping bags, we took the bus that would take to us to the National Park (another 4 hours, but at least not as wobbly). Yet another wonderful place, as usual the photos just don't do it justice.

Declared Reserve of the Biosphere by UNESCO in 1978, it is a truly spectacular place, with an area of around 200,000 hectares. Although the highest peak is Monte Paine Grande (10,000 feet), the park's most recognized and characteristic mountains are the "Cuernos" (Horns) and "Torres" (Towers) del Paine, gigantic granite formations with three peaks each.

The Cuernos are: Cuerno Norte (7,800 ft), Cuerno Principal (8,500 ft) & Cuerno Este (7,200 ft).
And the Torres: Torre Sur (9,300 ft), Torre Central (9,200 ft) & Torre Norte (8,500 ft).

Apart from the fancy shape of its summits, the most attractive feature of the Cuernos are the differently coloured types of rock (geology lesson today...). This is due to the fact that the black rock that crowns the peaks (it's sedimentary, like slate) was once in contact with the magma in the interior of the Earth more than 10 million years ago. Later on, the movement of the tectonic plates lifted this area and resulted in the formation of these mountains. During the glacial age, ice covered the entire region, with the exception of the highest peaks. When the ice melted, the lower level of granite (brown) was uncovered, and on top of it was the black rock which had not been affected by the glaciation.

Another small detail about the Park, is that it is completely free of pollution and you can fill your water bottle at any of the streams without fear of being contaminated. A luxury in these times we live in, or at least we think so.

Oh, and an important piece of information: the winds that blow from the East are ferociously strong (in fact Patagonia in general is known for being rather windy), we were lucky enough not to experience their power and got away with having a cheap tent, but you'd better go equiped with extra guy ropes and mega strong pegs or be prepared to hunt for big rocks to keep your tent on the ground should you not be so lucky... Though that's only applicable if you camp "freely" or in less organised campsites, the ones we used were in areas with some natural protection, either in a valley or under trees.

Anyway, once in the park, the plan was to follow the popular "W" route, thus named by its shape, but once again we were fooling ourselves because they recommend that you allow 4 days to complete it and we tried to do it in 3, with the contents of a small detached house
Paine GrandePaine GrandePaine Grande

Situated to the left of Los Cuernos, 3050m high ********** Situado a la izquierda de Los Cuernos, con 3050m de altitud
on our backs (2 beds and one kitchen, minus the sink) and with the ailments that we brought back with us from our previous walk. Wishful thinking.

But oh well, at least we tried! From the spot where the bus left us we walked to a viewpoint were we got splendid views of the Cuernos del Paine.

Later we took a catamaran that would take us to the starting point of the trek, namely the bottom left of the "W" which we walked from the bottom up.

The first day we held out bravely, heading for our destination just 3.5-4 hours away, the views along the trek certainly made the effort worthwhile. 5 hours later we arrived at the campsite, and after putting up the tent we went for a short walk to get close to a nearby glacier (Grey), to try and make up for the time that we could not spend in front of the Perito Moreno, but there was no comparison. This one is much smaller and was totally bone idle whilst we were there, didn't even "roar" once. Even so, we could at least contemplate it in silence and solitude, which was nice.
Los CuernosLos CuernosLos Cuernos

Cuerno Norte to the left, Principal (the pointiest one in the middle) and Este (to the right of the "V") ********** Cuerno Norte a la izquierda, Principal (el picudo del centro) y Este (a la derecha de la "V")


During the return journey the following day (back to where we started), Maria's callus and Mark's dodgy knee started to give us gyp again and the mosquitoes and a few horse flies drove us insane again - not being able to stop to catch your breath without them having you for breakfast is demoralising. So by the time we arrived back to our starting point 5.5 hours later, we had resigned ourselves to not being able to complete our mission.

We had to throw in the towel and cheat a little. That is, to bypass the middle parts of the "W", take the catamaran back, and then two buses, to arrive at the bottom right of the "W". This meant we did more like an "l" + "l" than the original "W". Nice shortcut!

We camped in the best campsite we have come across so far - they even had hot water to wash up! Luxury! After a revitalising shower and a night of well earned rest, we set off nice and early the next day (at around lunchtime). We tackled what we were told would be the hardest climb, but one which would bring the best
And again / Y otra vezAnd again / Y otra vezAnd again / Y otra vez

Los Cuernos from the catamaran (Pehoe Lake) ********** Los Cuernos desde el catamarán (Lago Pehoe)
reward: to camp one hour from Las Torres (you can't camp any closer) in order to get up at daybreak the following day and walk up to the viewpoint to admire The Torres at the crack of dawn. Just like Fitz Roy, they turn red with the first rays of light, only these are even more majestic, and we had been promised an unforgettable sight.

This was one of Maria's most anticipated experiences from the beginning of the trip, so she was really looking forward to it. But unfortunately, it was not to be: when the alarm went off at 4am, the sky was completely covered in cloud and it rained - as it didn't improve in the next half hour, she resigned herself to abandoning her plan (gutted!!!!!) whilst Mark snored on happily. It rained pretty much all the way down the hill... but to add insult to injury, by the time we reached the bottom the clouds had dispersed and the sun was shining. B-u-m-m-e-r!

Since the only picture we could take only shows the tips, we thought we'd better show you the pictures another luckier fellow blogger took so you can see for yourselves what
Lago Grey (Grey Lake)Lago Grey (Grey Lake)Lago Grey (Grey Lake)

You can also jump on a catamaran to get you closer to the glacier ********** También te puedes subir a un catamarán para que te acerque al glaciar
we missed and can sympathise with Maria's disappointment (Mark wasn't bothered - tsk!). See: Torres Del Paine - thanks Graham! :-).

One of the park rangers had actually advised us on the first day to spend a couple of nights at this last campsite if possible, in order to have two chances to see the Towers at dawn if the first day didn't work out. And that is what we would advise too, unfortunately it was not a possibility for us because we had to return to Puerto Natales that same day to board the ferry that would take us to our next destination...

So another lesson learned: it does not pay to do things and visit places in a hurry, next time we will take double the recommended time and perhaps this way we will be able to cover all eventualities and will not miss out on another experience which might be unique and unrepeatable.

So as we limped away from Torres Del Paine, we were satisfied that our initial assumption (when we started walking in El Chalten) of being old and clapped out... was pretty much accurate. However, even someone as frail and pathetically rusty as us
Glaciar GreyGlaciar GreyGlaciar Grey

It is around 4 miles wide and 100 ft high ********** Tiene unos 6 Kms de ancho y más de 30 metros de altura.
could have done the whole route sooner or later and the views are most definitely well worth the effort, the blisters, the sweat and the bites.

And now... all aboard, we've got a ferry to catch!


************************************************************************


Después de otro “agitado” viaje de 5 horas de regreso a El Calafate, solamente tuvimos un par de horas antes de abordar el siguiente autobús; éste nos cruzaría la frontera a Chile, y nuestro próximo destino, la pequeña ciudad de Puerto Natales.

Como íbamos a llegar bastante tarde (11 de la noche), habíamos decidido reservar alojamiento por adelantado. No habría sido necesario; en cuanto bajamos del autocar alguien nos ofreció una habitación. Esto nos ha pasado ya varias veces, y nos preguntamos ¿por qué será que siempre que uno
necesita habitación nadie te acosa, y cuando no necesitas siempre hay por lo menos un tipo que intenta arrastrarte a su hotel? En cualquier caso, llegamos a arrepentirnos de haber reservado…

El lugar que habíamos reservado por internet resultó ser un pequeño "museo de horrores". Había animales disecados cubriendo el sofá y por las escaleras que más parecían el trabajo de un sádico que de un taxidermista.
Qué asco. La dueña era una estúpida también, tan obsesionada con vendernos excursiones y alquilarnos todo el equipo de acampada que tenía disponible que al final tuve que ser yo quien le pidiese si no le importaría al menos enseñarnos primero donde estaba el cuarto de baño.

Ojalá no lo hubiese hecho. Aquel campamento en El Chaltén de repente pareció hasta acogedor en mi memoria. Nunca he intentado con tanto afán no tocar nada con mis manos desnudas. ¡Y el dormitorio! No sólo estaban las paredes cubiertas de imágenes de Cristo, Santos y el Papa, sino que encima nos encontramos la ropa interior de la madam en los cajones. ¡Puaj! No necesito decir más. Aquella noche dormimos en nuestros sacos de dormir.

A la mañana siguiente salimos de allí zumbando. El sitio estaba desierto aparte de un tipo que parecía el tío Fester (¿habéis visto La Familia Adams?). No sabemos si era sordo, mudo, retrasado, o las tres cosas, pero ni pudimos comunicarnos con él ni pudimos pagarle la habitación, y lo mismo le pasó a otra chica así que dijimos que mejor nos íbamos antes de que llegase el abuelo Munster a cobrarse. Qué asco de sitio.

Moraleja: probar antes de comprar. Nos buscamos otro alojamiento para la noche siguiente, también modesto pero al menos limpio, más barato encima, y el dueño mucho más agradable, me hablaba como si fuese un tío lejano al que no he visto en algún tiempo. Muy salao.

En Puerto Natales tampoco hay mucho que hacer, es una ciudad pequeña que la gente simplemente usa como base para visitar el Parque Nacional de las Torres del Paine, que era precisamente nuestro propósito.

Quizás lo más anecdótico que pasó fue la música exageradamente alta y distorsionada que se filtró por las paredes de nuestra habitación esa tarde. Pensamos que debería ser alguien en una habitación cercana, pero cuando abrimos la puerta nos dimos cuenta de que el estruendo en realidad venía de fuera. "Menudos vecinos más ruidosos" pensamos, pero cuando salimos más tarde resultó ser la iglesia, a 3 bloques de distancia, tocando villancicos a toda metralla, por altavoces que han instalado detrás de las campanas en la torre. Amén.

Total, que después de este día de descanso, al siguiente tomamos el bus que nos llevaría hasta el parque (otras 4 horas, pero con menos traqueteo al menos). Otro sitio que es una pura maravilla, como siempre las fotos no lo hacen justicia.

Declarado Reserva de la Biosfera por la UNESCO en 1978, es una paraje verdaderamente espectacular, con una extensión de 180 mil hectáreas (1 hectárea = 10.000 m2). Aunque el pico más alto es el Monte Paine Grande (3.050 m), las cumbres más reconocidas y características del parque son las llamadas "Cuernos" y "Torres" del Paine, gigantescos conjuntos de granito de tres picos cada uno.

Los Cuernos son: Cuerno Norte (2.400 m), Cuerno Principal (2.600 m) y Cuerno Este (2.200 m).
Y las Torres: Torre Sur (2.850 m), Torre Central (2.800 m) y Torre Norte (2.600 m).

Aparte de la forma picuda de sus cumbres, lo que llama la atención de los Cuernos son los diferentes colores de la roca (hoy toca lección de geología...). Esto es debido a que la roca negra (sedimentaria) que los corona estuvo en contacto con el magma del interior de la Tierra hace más de 10 millones de años. Luego llegaron las presiones a las que estuvo sometido el interior del planeta y que dieron lugar a las montañas. Durante las eras glaciales, el hielo cubrió toda la región, a excepción de las cimas más altas. Más adelante, al derretirse el hielo, quedó al descubierto el granito, y sobre éste la roca negra a la que no afectó la glaciación.

Otro pequeño detalle acerca del Parque, es que está completamente libre de polución y puede uno llenar la cantimplora en cualquier riachuelo sin miedo a contaminarse. Todo un lujo en estos tiempos que corren, o por lo menos a mí me lo parece.

Ah, y otra información importante: los vientos que soplan del este son salvajemente feroces (en realidad esto sucede por toda Patagonia en general), nosotros tuvimos suerte de no experimentar su fuerza y aguantamos con nuestra tienda de baratillo, pero si vais algún día mejor ir equipados con estacas reforzadas o ya podéis poneros a buscar piedras bien grandes que os mantengan la tienda sujeta al suelo, por si acaso no tenéis la misma suerte...

Dentro del parque hay innumerables rutas para hacer caminatas entre montañas y lagos; nuestro plan era hacernos una de las rutas más populares, la "W", así llamada por la forma que tiene. Pero una vez más nos engañamos pues aconsejan que te tomes 4 días para hacerla y
On our way to Camp Torres / En ruta a Campamento TorresOn our way to Camp Torres / En ruta a Campamento TorresOn our way to Camp Torres / En ruta a Campamento Torres

Can you see the footpath? ********** ¿Podéis ver el camino?
nosotros pretendimos hacerla en 3, con una casa de campo adosada a la espalda y encima con los achaques que nos trajimos de la otra caminata. Estaba claro que nos habíamos pasado de optimistas. Pero bueno, ¡que no se diga que no lo intentamos!

Desde donde nos dejó el autobús dimos un pequeño paseo hasta un mirador desde donde obtuvimos fantásticas vistas de los Cuernos. Después tomamos un catamarán que nos llevaría al punto de partida. De aquí había que subir caminando al extremo izquierdo de la W, de abajo a arriba, y luego regresar por el mismo camino al día siguiente.

El primer día aguantamos estoicamente mientras emprendimos el camino a nuestro primer campamento, a 3.5 - 4 horas de distancia según el mapa, y las vistas a lo largo del paseo hicieron que el esfuerzo mereciera la pena. 5 horas más tarde, llegamos al camping. Una vez colocada la tienda nos acercamos lo que pudimos a un glaciar cercano (Grey), para intentar compensar por el tiempo que no pudimos pasar delante del Perito Moreno, pero ni punto de comparación, éste es un glaciar mucho más pequeño y totalmente silencioso e inactivo (al menos mientras estuvimos allí). Aún así, al menos pudimos contemplarlo en silencio y en soledad, que también tiene mérito.

El camino de regreso al día siguiente se hizo más duro, el callo y la rodilla volvieron a dar problemas y los mosquitos y algún que otro tábano nos volvían locos, no poder parar a recuperar el aliento sin que se te merienden es desesperante. Así que para cuando llegamos al punto de origen ya nos habíamos resignado a no poder continuar con nuestro cometido. Tuvimos que tirar la toalla y hacer trampa. O sea, no hacer 2 los segmentos medios de la W, sino volver a tomar el catamarán, y luego dos autobuses, que nos llevaran al comienzo del segmento "/".

Aquí acampamos en el mejor camping que nos hemos encontrado hasta el momento. ¡Hasta tenían agua caliente para fregar los platos! Todo un lujo. Tras una ducha renovadora y una noche de merecido descanso, al día siguiente afrontamos lo que nos dijeron sería la subida más dura, pero que traería consigo la mejor recompensa: acampar a una hora de Las Torres (más cerca no se puede) para, con algo de fuerza de voluntad, madrugar al día siguiente para subir al mirador
Las Torres del Paine (Paine Towers)Las Torres del Paine (Paine Towers)Las Torres del Paine (Paine Towers)

Only view we managed to get! *********** ¡La unica vista que conseguimos obtener!
y admirarlas al amanecer, que es al parecer una vista insólita. Al igual que el Fitz Roy en El Chaltén, los picos se tiñen de rojo con las primeras luces del alba, sólo que estos son aún más imponentes.

Esta había sido una de mis experiencias más esperadas desde el principio del viaje, así que estaba deseando hacerlo, y con este pensamiento subí la muy larga y pesada pendiente con alegría y optimismo. Pero por desgracia, mi gozo en un pozo: cuando el despertador sonó a las 4 de la mañana, el cielo estaba encapotado y llovía - no mejoró ni en la media hora siguiente, ni en las otras varias horas que siguieron mientras emprendimos el camino de vuelta. Menuda decepción. Y para más recochineo, cuando llegamos al pie de la montaña el cielo se había despejado y lucía el sol. ¡Maldición! Como en la única foto que pude sacar sólo se ven las puntas, pensé que mejor os enseñaba las fotos de otro diario de esta página web para que veáis lo que me perdí y comprendáis mejor mi frustación... (ver: Torres Del Paine - ¡gracias Graham!).

Uno de los guardaparques con quien charlé el primer día nos
View from the foot of the hill / Vista desde el pie de la montañaView from the foot of the hill / Vista desde el pie de la montañaView from the foot of the hill / Vista desde el pie de la montaña

Torres del Paine on the right, at the back ********** Torres del Paine al fondo a la derecha
recomendó que pasásemos un par de noches en el último campamento, precisamente para tener dos oportunidades de ver las Torres si el primer día se fastidiaba. Y eso es lo que aconsejaría yo también, lamentablemente nosotros no pudimos hacerlo pues teníamos que regresar a Puerto Natales para esa misma noche abordar el ferry que nos llevaría a nuestro próximo destino...

Así que otra lección aprendida... no merece la pena hacer las cosas y visitar los sitios a la carrera, la próxima vez nos tomaremos el doble del tiempo aconsejado y tal vez así podamos cubrir todas las eventualidades y no perderemos otra experiencia que puede ser única e irrepetible.

Al alejarnos de las Torres Del Paine, en un momento de reflexión, nos sentimos satisfechos de haber podido comprobar que nuestra sospecha inicial (cuando estuvimos de caminata por El Chaltén), de que estamos algo viejos y oxidados... era bastante acertada. Sin embargo, incluso alguien achacoso como nosotros podría haber hecho todo el recorrido tarde o temprano, y las vistas son definitivamente merecedoras del esfuerzo, las ampollas, el sudor y las picaduras.

Y ahora... todos a bordo que nos subimos al ferry!


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



1st February 2006

hi you two hope you are still making good progress good to "see" you when we were at purbeck.take care and enjoy

Tot: 0.402s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 25; qc: 111; dbt: 0.1371s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.7mb