Chiloe's Emerald Isles


Advertisement
South America » Chile » Los Lagos » Chiloé Island
May 6th 2011
Published: August 12th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Seductive, destructive witches and warlocks stalk the forty, Irish-green islands of the Chiloe archipelago, or so they say. Located off the coast of Chile's Lake District, the islands were isolated for centuries, and many are still rarely visited by outsiders. Thus, they've developed their own culture filled with magical tales, a unique dialect and cuisine, and a vernacular architecture of brightl... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 42, Displayed: 21


Advertisement




12th August 2014

Chiloe
Loved Chiloe. Love the name too...we (I) even considered naming our daughter Mandalay, Chiloe!
12th August 2014

What's in a name?
Love the name too, but Mandalay will be less mangled and mispronounced--good choice.
12th August 2014
Achao's Iglesia Santa Maria de Loreto

Stunning
The stunning opulence of Chilean and Argentinian churches are wonders to behod. this one is delightfully unique in my reckoning. Gotta eat some more Calafate berries sooner than later me thinks.
12th August 2014
Achao's Iglesia Santa Maria de Loreto

Oh, Patagonia!
I must admit, with you, that my heart is in Patagonia and the lovely lake districts. As a wood worker, you'd salivate at the hand-built details in those Chiloe churches. I've got a few knock-out churches up my sleeve here in Peru that you'll love, too.
12th August 2014

Lovely place!
seems like a nice get away. Curanto sounds good: can't go bad with meat + sausages!!!
12th August 2014

Curanto blues
We'd make a fine pair--you can wolf down the meaties and I'll slurp down the potatoes. Too bad you weren't there to help me out--I would have tried it!
12th August 2014

So many places so little time
South America has so much to offer and we've spent so little time there. Our list of things to see keeps growing. We may have to stop reading your blogs. ha ha. No, you continue to give us great information. Thanks
12th August 2014

Savoring South America
You are so right--S. A. has so much to offer that I've been here for four years and only managed to make it up to southern Peru. But you intrepid travelers are doing a fine job of covering the DC area, so I'm taking your tips for my return.
12th August 2014

Yipee! A blog at last. Well worth waiting for. Love the descriptions, and all those churches, and especially the photos - so much colour. We think Chile is going on the list for our next visit to South America....
12th August 2014

Chilin' in Chile!
Chile is so fab and has so much to offer--it would make a worthy next stop. Glad you liked the photos; it was so gorgeous even with gray days and a dying camera. Maybe they paint their houses so colorfully because it's always gray, however, I don't think that custom would catch on in England or A'dam.
12th August 2014

Stunning!
The colours and light in these photos are amazing. The churches, the houses, the skies, drew me in. Of course, it's one thing to read about the dampness and another to live with it. We live in a rainforest and I can see how the weather can inspire the idea of magic or mysticism - all those shifting mists and clouds. There is a real mournful beauty to it. Thanks!
12th August 2014

Mystic moisture
"...a mournful beauty," well said. Yes, I do think that may be why tropical places are so infused with colorful structures, clothing, etc. But living in a rainforest--that's impressive. I worked for six weeks in Guatemala in the jungle, but I can't imagine doing it long term. You two are hardy!
13th August 2014

So much beauty...
I need to see Chiloe's palafitos for myself - they look amazing; and I want to try curanto! Your gorgeous photos made me realise that I hadn't heard if you've got a new camera yet..?
13th August 2014

So much beauty
Indeed, these green islands were so colorful, beautiful and exotic--not at all like the rest of Chile. This camera was an ultracompact Lumix that I loved, but which didn't last long. I had a Sony compact after that, and still can't decide on a new camera. I want a superzoom that is really light and not too expensive and takes sharp photos. So far, I've not found it. Thanks for asking. Go to Chile!
14th August 2014

Wooden Gothic Churches
Fantastic ceilings... love it. And the colours are amazing....
14th August 2014

Thanks, Paul
I'm glad you liked the colors and churches. It really was an amazing place.
19th August 2014

Wow, the colours!
They really jump at you! Miles away from the grey and browns cities of many European cities. I'd love to go there and see this splendour for myself!
19th August 2014

Wild colors
Thanks, Per-Olaf, I do hope you make it to Chile and amazing South America. I must say that Chiloe is more like Mexico and Cuba in its wild colors than the rest of the Americas. Then, again, we don't have the incredible history that you Europeans do. Happy Malta!
7th September 2014

Interesting reading
We have from time to time been talking about going to Chile ourselves. After reading this blog entry I am sure we will be talking about it again. Thanks for writing about your trip there
7th September 2014

Fabulous Chile!
Southern and central Chile were amazing with gorgeous nature. Even the north with its Atacama desert is beautiful, but my favorite is the south. I do hope you can go!
4th October 2014

Islomania
Thanks for your comment on my Turkish blog, thought I'd return the favour and in the process got quite caught up in your Chilean adventures... a place we haven't got to yet but would love to visit. Being a bit of an island nut, I particularly enjoyed this piece about the islands of the Chiloe archipelago - it sounds wonderful and I love all your colourful photos.... just makes me want to go right away!

Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 18; qc: 26; dbt: 0.029s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb