I go to Rio!


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil
April 5th 2014
Published: June 26th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -22.9035, -43.2096

We arrived into Rio about 5-10pm on Thursday. It took 45 minutes for our bags to appear and then another hour to get to our hotel. The Rio Othon Palace is right on the waterfront facing Copacabana beach. From our window we have a great view towards the Sugar Loaf along the beach. We left our bags in the room and with Brian, Kim, Jim and Lorraine we walked about two blocks to Don Camillo, an Italian restaurant that Eugenio, our local guide had recommended. Here we had a very nice meal. Fletcher had a black seafood risotto and I chose the trout. Both were delicious and were large servings. It was great to be back in Rio and savour the sights and sounds of this happening place.

The next day was entirely free. We slept in and had breakfast at 9-30 am. Some of the others had headed off on optional tours but we decided to chill out (as much as you can in the tropics) and stroll slowly along the beach. Since we were here last they have rebuilt the kiosks that line the beach front and enlarged them. We walked along admiring the views but soon had to sit for a while at one of the kiosks. A couple of beers and an hour's sitting and watching and we set off again. The bikinis have not got any larger, much to Fletcher's delight!

We had lunch at another kiosk. I had a hamburger for only $3 and Fletcher had fish and chips and salad for about $15. Not bad. We watched the hawkers trying to sell hats, sunglasses, beads etc and the stall holders who hire out deck chairs and umbrellas. A band of musicians came and serenaded us, wanting money of course and we watched the guys paddling their surfboards.

We then decided to walk to the next beach, which is Ipanema. To get there we had to leave the beach for a while and walk along one of the main streets. However, a short cut through a park soon brought us to the start of Ipanema. This is a much nicer beach than Copacabana with real surf that the boys were taking advantage of. There is a twin peaked mountain at one end and is far more upmarket. We found a hotel's restaurant overlooking the seafront and settled down with a bottle of chardonnay to enjoy the scenery. Fletcher swore he had spotted the girl from Ipanema whose bikini left little for the imagination. It was so pleasant in the sunshine, so warm and peaceful, in spite of the hundreds of people passing by. A great way to relax.

The walk back took us past some souvenir shops where we bought Jude a birthday present and then took our time getting back. When we arrived at the hotel, David invited us to come out with him and the others to celebrate his 70th. Eighteen of us went to a fabulous seafood restaurant around the corner called Principe de Monaco. David and Elizabeth had organised champagne and the restaurant provided a free welcome drink. The meal was again terrific. We shared a dish of Sole Meuniere. All the plates were for two people and then we struggled to finish. When we sang Happy Birthday, the whole restaurant joined in. It was a great celebration.

Saturday was full on. We left the hotel at 8am and were at Corcadova Railway station by 8-15am We took the 8-30 train to the top to visit the statue of Christ the Redeemer. The railway was built in 1882 and climbs through a National Park, the only urban forest left in the world. It takes about 20 minutes to get to the top. There we had an hour to take photos and admire the stunning views and, of course, the immense statue itself.

From there it was back to the bus and a drive through the Downtown area. We stopped at the Cathedral, Sao Sebastiano. From the outside this looks like an upside down cone of concrete but inside is another story. There are four beautiful modern stained glass windows, floor to ceiling and modern, but well sculptured statues on the altar. Two side chapels, one to Mary and the other St Joseph complete the place. Eugenio said when the Pope visited they took out the chairs and nearly 22,000 people crammed in to hear Mass.
Then we drove past the Financial District and government centre. The Art Museum, the Opera house and the Government buildings were very French in influence. The wide avenue which fronts the water is all on reclaimed land. We arrived at the foot of Sugar Loaf and took the cable car up to the first landing. Here we stopped for lunch at the outside cafes. A serving of delicious empanadas satisfied us. This area also has a display of the old cable cars originally used here over 100 years ago. This was only the third cable car to be built anywhere in the world.

After lunch we ascended in a second car up to the top of Sugar Loaf itself. We saw some guys climbing the rock and others abseiling down it. The views to the airport and Copacabana are stunning. After 20 minutes there we came down to the first stage and walked along the "Green Trail", stopping to watch and photograph the small marmosets which live in the trees there. There are also supposed to be toucans around but I did not spot one. Back down to ground level and then back to the hotel after a drive along Ipanema Beach.

That evening we were taken to a restaurant called, Marius. It is completely OTT in decor with all sorts of bric-a-brac gilded and stuck to the ceiling. The toilets are spectacular in themselves with black seats and the floor covered in gravel and coloured stones. The walls are covered in dolls and teddy bears. This was our farewell dinner as we are all heading home tomorrow and some are leaving at different times. There was a seafood and salad buffet for starters and then the waiters came to the tables with various cuts of meat. The steak was beautifully cooked and melt in the mouth. However, the drinks service was very slow and though we certainly had plenty of food I am sure there are other equally nice places around. Again they had more cake for birthday folk, including Fletcher, David and Graham and then we farewelled Jesus with an envelope of tips. Margaret asked Fletcher to say a few words which he did very well and the evening ended on a convivial, though nostalgic note. It has been a great trip but we are all ready to return home with happy memories of 36 days spent with lovely people whom we hope to see again sometime!



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.414s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 8; qc: 41; dbt: 0.1032s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb