The day of green and yellow


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil
July 2nd 2010
Published: July 10th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Nice and early on friday morning we were woken by the, much appreciated, sound of cockrels and soon realised it was not likely we would be sleeping much past 7 any morning however much we may want to. Stumbling downstairs we found breakfast, fruit, cake, biscuits and fresh fruit juice, rivalling the pinapple juice from sri lanka. After, we proceeded to take a quick trip to the local market where we went to purchase some brazilian football shirts for the match that afternoon. 8 of us strolling through the streets of Receife caused much commotion and stares as the 'blondies' (although only 2 of us are actually blonde) walked past. The market, not exactly easy to miss as the market literally was green and yellow. Stalls sold Brazilian t shirt after Brazilian t shirt and it would not have made much difference if the street itself had been painted green and yellow. Whilst heading through the market however a man supporting a Holland football shirt stridded along... brave man. Soon however we spied our desired t shirts (at 2 pounds a shirt Nate did claim he would buy them all just so he wouldn't have to wash for a month) and we headed to watch the awaited Brazilian vs Holland football match. Now I can quite easily say that England love their football... however Brazil is on a whole another level. When a match is on everything stops... shops, transport, police, the army... you get the idea. So in a hall where the game was being projected 80 or so of us huddled together heads so close to the screen I wondered how it was possible to see, however they managed it! The rest of the game I will not mention... Our spirits however were soon cheered as we met he children from the local area. Children although they have known you for 5 minutes and don't speak the same language as you, act like your very best friend. The Portuguese learning btw has been.. interesting, a lot of miming and very patient conversations and much obrigada (thank you). Many photos with the locals later we headed back and the painting of the project began, where the kids a few days later on the camps would sleep. Having painted more of ourselves than the walls we settled down for dinner. With full stomachs and a long game of cards later and much team bonding whilst learning many interesting facts about each other (including a certain someone who flicked off someone elses nipple.. yes you heard me right) we headed off for another much needed sleep.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0277s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb