Sao Sebastiao and New Years Eve 2011. Brasil.


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » São Paulo » São Sebastião
January 29th 2011
Published: January 31st 2011
Edit Blog Post

[youtube=h5utwW_3KkY][youtube=BpH8paHYkb8]As I started writing this note, I had yet another moment of great appreciation for how extremely fortunate we are. December 31st, 2010 and we had just spent the past few days by a most beautiful beach-house, lying on the warm sandy beach, swimming in the Atlantic Ocean, boating along the coast and the island of Ihlabella, hiking to the cliff top, eating and drinking the finest of foods and beverages, and sharing many laughs with some truly great people. So as the sun was about to sink on another amazing year, it was time for us to be truly grateful for everything good in our lives.

Sao Sebastiao is a coastal town in the state of Sao Paulo, about 3 hours from the huge city. There are a string of nice beaches and coastal walkways around the region. Brazil’s second largest island, Ilhlabela, is visible just a few hundred meters off the shore also.

Sarah and I arrived in Sao Sebastiao from Paraty on December 28th; an easy four hour bus ride along the beautiful coast road. After a warm greeting from our friend Natalia and her cousin Sandro we made the short ride back to the beach
Boating around IhlabellaBoating around IhlabellaBoating around Ihlabella

On board 'Drako', it's Sarah, Isabella, and Andre "Bieber"
house. A few cocktails later and we were all enjoying a beautiful sunset that drops just beside the cliffs to the west horizon.

We spent five fun-filled days in Sao Sebastiao. There were so many highlights. Boating around the island was excellent, as was getting some more beach time. And everyone was looking forward to New Years Eve.
New Years Eve in Brazil is a big deal. It is customary to wear white for good luck, and superstitions have also led to the introduction of colors. Green denotes the wish for health, red for love, blue is for friendship, and yellow for money. It was quite impressive to see friends and family, neighbours and strangers, all decked out in white together. Sarah and I enjoyed dinner with the Rackowitsch family and we got warmed up for the night ahead. .

Fireworks
As traditional as uniform white are the fireworks. They were everywhere, and we enjoyed the display from the beach house and on the beach towards midnight.

Tick tock goes the clock
The countdown to the New Year was a new experience for both Sarah and I. We had never run the countdown on a beach, never
AmigasAmigasAmigas

Natalia and Sarah
mind in Brazil! So as the crowds chanted ‘Treiz, dois, um”, we all swigged champagne and warmly wished each other a prosperous 2011. The fireworks continued, and we made our way to the ocean to jump the waves in the sea….another tradition that brings good luck and fortune. Everyone jumps seven waves for good luck and new beginnings.

Where’s The Party At?
After drying ourselves off and throwing on some footwear, our posse made its way to the SUV – the party would be in full swing by the time we got to club Sirena in the nearby town of Maresias. En route, Sarah and I made some calls to our family to wish them all a Happy New Year. We are lucky to have such great family. So needless to say, we had a LOT of fun at the club. The night involved everything from cervejas and fake snow, tequilas and terraces, DJs and dance divas, and… a little person. Enjoy the pictures & video and, most importantly, enjoy a happy, healthy year in 2011….

Much love-

Bref & Sarah



Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Sao SebastiaoSao Sebastiao
Sao Sebastiao

The Rackowitsch beach house where we stayed.
Nice photoNice photo
Nice photo

Andrey takes a shot of Fatima and Teresa
We did it!We did it!
We did it!

The gang, from on top of the hill overlooking Sao Sebastiao beach
Keep your hat on Sarah!Keep your hat on Sarah!
Keep your hat on Sarah!

Sarah keeps her hat on despite the breeze.
Mesa par 4Mesa par 4
Mesa par 4

Sandro, Natalia, Sarah, Bref get drinks in in Sao Sebastiao village.
Room with a viewRoom with a view
Room with a view

From the beach house. It was easy to fall asleep to the sound of waves crashing along the shore.
All Aboard!All Aboard!
All Aboard!

Andrey navigates with the help from Vera.
Look... no hands!Look... no hands!
Look... no hands!

Sandro and I taking a dip.
We're all white tonightWe're all white tonight
We're all white tonight

The New Year Eve celebrations get underway
FeastFeast
Feast

Andrey and Fatima were excellent hosts.
New Years Eve DinnerNew Years Eve Dinner
New Years Eve Dinner

It was lentil soup for starters. Another tradition that brings good luck. It was also delicious!


31st January 2011
Amigas

giant Sarah!!

Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 12; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0284s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb