Welcome to Rio


Advertisement
Published: March 3rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Better late than never as they say, so here we go with the first installment of our travels.....

Had quite a funny start to our trip by literally bumping into Fabio Capello in Heathrow Duty Free. He didn't stop to chat unfortunately, but Lee did secretly follow him for a while to get a better look!

Arrived late in Rio and the Carnival parties were still in full swing. Went to the winners parade for the Carnival at Rio's famous Sambadrome, which was quite an experience. Everything you would expect, thousands of people, fabulous costumes, banging drums and all in all one big crazy party.

Have done some of the touristy stuff, visited the Statue of Christ (Corcovado) and took the cable car up Sugar Loaf Mountain, both of which had amazing panoramic views of the city. Stayed on Copacabana beach, but we were surpised not to see more beautiful bodies. Just as many spare tyres as six packs, but that made us feel better!

Lee was chuffed to get to see a football match at the legendary Maracana stadium. It was the cup final between two Rio teams, Botofogo and Resende. This was the equivalent of a local derby, but this was no Charlton v Crystal Palace! Was an unforgettable experience, the Carnival Spirit definitely extends to football here in Brazil.

Well that's it for now, catching the bus up the coast to a place called Buzios, apparently the St Tropez of Brazil (and we're supposed to be on a budget!)

Thanks for all your messages, here are a few of our first pics.
See you again soon for part 2.

Lou and Lee x


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



30th April 2009

Wow!
Wow guys! It looks like you are having a great time, I am soooo jealous. Take care of yourselves, especially if you are making your way up towards Mexico!

Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0877s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb