Down the Coast


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Rio de Janeiro » Paraty
March 10th 2009
Published: March 11th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hello again

Have spent the last week checking out some of Brazils coastal hot-spots. Our first stop was Buzios, a lovely little coastal spot just north of Rio - not your usual backpacking destination, a bit of a playground for well-heeled Brazilians. As lovely as Rio was it's been nice to break away from the city for some chill out time. Not much to report activity wise as spent alot of time chilling on the beach (how tough), but we did have one eventful boat trip. As we only understand a 'poco' Spanish (think that means a little), let along Portuguese, we struggled for the whole day with the itinerary. Infact, we almost missed our boat back to the mainland - still sitting on the beach we noticed that loads of people were frantically waving and shouting from one of the boats and eventually we realised they were calling us back. When back on board everyone whooped and cheered and no doubt were thinking 'those stupid gringo's....!'

Buzios definitely attracts money, everyone drives around posing in bright and orange and yellow buggies (I'm just jealous really!). But Lou and I enjoyed making do with the local bus service which much to my delight was a funky VW Campervan, that we named the 'Buzy Bus'.

Next stop was an 8 hour bus journey to another lovely coastal town called Paraty, just south Rio (at least now we are heading in the right direction!) Dramatic scenery, with dense jungle, gorgeous beaches and an old colonial town with cobbled streets. The first night we had a couple of drinks in a bar in the old town called 'Che', recommended by our hostel owner 'Emmerson' (cool name dont you think!). Two Argentinian guys started chatting to us which was a bit difficult because their English was only slightly better than our Spanish. Despite the language barrier they offered to take us for a night out in Buenos Aires (their home town). Hope to be able to do this when we reach Argentina, Lou and I were bowled over by their friendliness, if only people were like this in Blighty!

Anyway it's time to head off to Sao Paulo and then onwards to the Iguazu Falls, need to make sure I have plenty of juice in my camera for this one!

Tchau for now
Lee and Lou






Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



17th March 2009

Sounds Great
Loving the pics, hope you are having fun time. Barc' not quite as interesting :-(

Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0407s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb