Rocinha favela


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Rio de Janeiro » Rio de Janeiro
January 18th 2006
Published: January 22nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Now feeling confident that the whole of Brazil believes we are Brazilian, and considering that we accidently stumbled into a favela in Salvador, we dared to venture into Rocinha, the largest favela in Brazil.
For those of you who have seen City Of God, you can forgive us for expecting to be ducking stray bullets, but in actual fact, the favela by day was incredibly quiet, and the people were extremely friendly and the kids were happily playing and flying their kites.
We were struck by the poverty within the area, the children were subconsciously running around barefoot amongst the sewage water, that leéks through the favelas narrow streets and staircases.
While some of the children begged, many others were selling pieces of art and jewellery that they had made as a means of gathering money.

A graffiti tag of a drug gang the ADA, also reminded us of our surroundings and the fact that this group is reported to be controlling the drug trafficking within the area.

From the slum you can gain magnificent views of Pedra Bonita and the Copacabana, and the amazing contrasts of the wealthy establishments along the beach, where properties cost millions of dollars to buy.






Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



20th February 2006

Hey Hey...
Hey guys, how's it going? wanna go party in the 'dangerzone'?? brian or the short man with dreads??!! (oh the joys of our hangout in salvador!!!)
16th April 2006

Where's Ann?
Where has she gone to? Rumour was she was supposed to be back in the UK beginning of April...

Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0349s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb