Rio, Pao De Acucar (Sugarloaf Mountain)


Advertisement
Published: August 23rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Waiting for Cable CarWaiting for Cable CarWaiting for Cable Car

In line, waiting for the cable car.
We wake up to a sweaty room (maybe we should have turned on the fan) and loud French people. Worse still the emergency deodorant has been spilled. We have breakfast (as 25th) and then I endured the coldest shower ever.

Another check on our luggage revealed that we would only be getting £80 between the three of us but there is no time to shop just now.

We get (the correct) bus to Pao De Acucar or Sugarloaf Mountain and then queue for the cable car (R$44) to the top.

The sky is less hazy today and the views from the top are once again fantastic. The actual trip takes on two cable cars, one to a central point (Murro da Urca) which contains a lovely "Green Path" (Via Verde) cutting a nature walk amongst the mountain. A second cable car (made famous for the James Bond and Jaws scene) take us to the summit of the Murro Do Pao De Acucar.

After more fantastic views we head back to the middle stop and have some food, although the translations seem to get lost and we get random food. We also watch a short film on the
Sugarloaf MountainSugarloaf MountainSugarloaf Mountain

Sugarloaf Mountain taken from the mid-station point.
history of Sugarloaf mountain before heading back to ground.

Once more we get the wrong bus and arrive back at the beach just after sunset but the setting is lovely and we settle down with some Caiprinhas, some very strong Caiprinhas and a bit of people watching.

Fuelled with alcohol we go shopping for clothes although our £80 really doesn't allow us much and I purchase some shorts and what I thought were boxers but turn out to be some male thongs - nice.
Despite not being able to buy much the girls manage to take a long time and I am amused to see that the reaction of males waiting for females in a shop is universal.

I realise at this point that I am slightly poorly but also starving and we find a local restaurant where I have a fantastic dish of Baby Sole, capers and grape all dished out with great service. Sadly I didn't note the name, it was Bar do Bota or something and filled with Mafia types and no tourists. Since they are hardly likely to go anywhere sub-standard we felt this was a great find.

When we arrive at
View from SugarloafView from SugarloafView from Sugarloaf

A view of Copacabana from Sugarloaf mountain.
the hostel there is a message telling us the luggage is on its way and as we polish off another bottle of wine it arrives.




Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Green TrailGreen Trail
Green Trail

Amongst the mountain jungle.


Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0405s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb