we´ve made it


Advertisement
Published: March 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Ola from Brazil

Its taken a while to get access to the computer and its not looking that promising for our internet connection.
We will try as often as possible to update this and send the odd email.

Our trip was eventful, nothing like the previous years but still had some tense moments. Each flight was late leaving but we managed to make up some time in the air.
We arrived in Sau Paulo with only about 40 minutes till our next flight, and we still had to clear customs and get our luggage to transfer to the domestic flight.

We hurried to the check in counter about 20 minutes after boarding started, but the typical brazilian way was apparent right away when they werent concerned at how late we were.
We then found out that instead of the 2 - 70lb bags we were allowed with air cananda, it was only 1 - 50lb bag. Of course the entire team was over on the baggage allowance and we all had to pay extra to get the bags on the plane. I think it cost about $162 for our bags but it was worth every penny, as I wasnt about to unpack a single can of cockroach killing stuff.
Once they figured out that we all wanted to pay they finally had things rolling. Take note, its now 15 minutes past departure time. So the last person has paid and we rush to the gate and find also in typical brazilian tradition a huge bottle neck trying to get on the plane.
We were all so relieved to find that we werent that late. Then we hear an announcement that this flight is for a different city, and infact, our plane isnt even here yet.
We wait about another 70 minutes before we start to board. WELCOME TO BRAZIL!

The kids knew that there was a team coming but when we pulled up there werent any waiting at the gate for us, like in the past.
However after 1 of the little ones spotted us it took a whole 23 seconds before there was a swarm of kids waiting to greet us.
Our little Andressinha was there with big smiles waiting to give us hugs. The house parents were also really happy to see us, its just like coming home when we get here!

The lethbridge team is awesome, and they have brought about 23 hockey bags of clothing and other supplies as well as a large cash donation that will help with the final supplies for the newest house.
It looks great, Alex is working up there and will take some pictures that we hope to post soon.

Cockroach killing is going well, alex was on a mission last nite spraying and dusting for the creepy suckers. I think the death toll sits at about 8. It doesnt sound like a huge number but keep in mind that the only good cockroach is a dead one so this # works for me and I consider it a victory already!
Please keep praying for me on this, I sure can feel it and appreciate everyone that is praying.

We miss you guys and hope all is well in canada.
Take care and we will blog soon! Love laura & alex... aka tomate & cebola


Advertisement



Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 8; qc: 25; dbt: 0.083s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1016.5kb