bohemian paradise


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Pernambuco
December 11th 2006
Published: February 2nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Olinda at sunsetOlinda at sunsetOlinda at sunset

the name O Linda means how beautiful. apprantly the founder said 'o linda 'upon his first view over olinda..and thats where the name comes from!
4th December - 11th December

Arriving in Beautiful Olinda was like stepping back in time.
Having arrived late a night, i quickly checked into my hostel, and took a wander around. Street lamps light up the cobble stoned streets, reminding me of my travels in Prague in Czech republic.
I stayed at Albergue De Olinda- colourfully filled hostel...and has a pool!!! woohoo!





Olinda is beautiful. in striking contrast to its sister town of Recife (the commercial centre of the region). Apparently the name came about when one of the founders, satnding at a high viewpoint, whispered 'o Linda', meaning 'how nice'. i stood at the same area where he fell in love with the town. now the church Igreja da Se satnds there and commands the beautiful views from its terrace.





walking through the streets, you are never short of passing a chruch at every corner. 22 in total in the town. containing a high congregation of artesans, you can walk through the streets and admire the art throught the windows or feel at home walking into their home studios. fell in love with the art there. and even got
the art housesthe art housesthe art houses

so many art houses everywhere...each one where u can walk in to their house and look at the art...i loved Olinda!
a local artist that i befriended to make me some paintings that i will exhibit in my house one day! The town has a very Bohemian feel, with quaint little coffee shops and cafes, art shops everywhere. street art, graffiti, colourful houses. the third biggest carnival in Brazil is said to be here. lasting 11 days, its free and meant to be electric! characterised by Fevro, a high energy dance that involves use of samll umbrellas. walking through on the weekend, i got a glimpse of the intensity of the dance as there was a local performace there.






Olinda may be where you sleep, but its Recife where you party! met Felix, a friend that i had met in the north of brazil and who had settled with a local brazilian girl and absorbing the culture in Recife. we went out to terca negra (black tuesday), where one plaza was filled with bodies gyrating to the african beats and sounds.
went out to some great clubs there on the weekend. probably one of the few tourists partyin in this city. always a better experience i say!






However, the gem of the region were the beaches of Porto Da Galinhas. not in my lonely planet...disappointingly. i almost didnt get the chance to go there. It is definitely the most beautiful beach that i had encountered in north of Brazil. crystal tropical blue waters, lined with palm trees, white sand. the most amazing thing about this paradise was around midday, when the waters are low, the abundance of near-shore reefs protrude forming multiple lagoons off shore. i sailed onto mini sail boats and was able to walk along the reefs and snorkle with the fish that got trapped in the small lagoons between the reefs. stunning!





Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

FrevoFrevo
Frevo

the electric dance that they dance during their february carnival...it was intense!
there is a church at every cornerthere is a church at every corner
there is a church at every corner

22 in number filling the small town
the church standing atop the town the church standing atop the town
the church standing atop the town

and demanding the best views from its terraces


Tot: 0.361s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 30; qc: 139; dbt: 0.2882s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb