Another week, another UNESCO heritage site


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Minas Gerais » Ouro Preto
February 29th 2008
Published: February 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

From Belo Horizonte I went to spend a few days in the former portuguese colonial town of Ouro Preto. Yes - another UNESCO world heritage site - Brazil is not all about Rio and carnival. During the gold boom in the 18th century Ouro Preto (portuguese for black gold) was one of the most populous towns in Brazil (100, 000 people compared to 20,000 in Rio). The rich source of gold in the town meant that many baroque artists were attracted to the town. The result is the fabulous architecture present in the town today.

The picturesque twon is nestled among the green hills of Minas Gerais. I spent a few days wandering up and down the VERY STEEP cobblestone streets, admiring the buildings and soaking up the atmosphere of this very tranquil town. I did my usual trick of wandering around with no map, so have no idea of the names of any of the many chruches I saw.

But wandering around I had the feeling of familiarity. I felt like I had been in this place before. The cobbled streets, the steep inclines, the churches, the red rooves on the buildings, the students in the bars, it all felt vaguely familiar....and then I arrived at....Largo de Coimbra! The portuguese influence is still very apparent in Ouro Preto today....


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Praca de TiradentesPraca de Tiradentes
Praca de Tiradentes

coimbra reminder 1
Student republicaStudent republica
Student republica

Coimbra reminder 2
AzulejosAzulejos
Azulejos

Coimbra reminder 3
Steep cobblestone streetSteep cobblestone street
Steep cobblestone street

Coimbra reminder 4
Largo de CoimbraLargo de Coimbra
Largo de Coimbra

Ahhhh so thats where it is!


Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0407s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb