Brasilia: Quando nao tem mar, vai pra o bar......


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Distrito Federal » Brasília
March 11th 2008
Published: March 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The next stop was to the capital of Brasil - the imaginatively named Brasilia! Brasilia was specifically designed to be the capital of Brazil in the 1950´s. From above it is the shape of an aeroplane and is divided into sectors such as the hotel secor, the bank sector, the restaurant sector etc. The architect responsible for the design of the city was Oscar Niemeyer and as such the buidlings and layout are typical of his work - white, sleek buildings interspaced with open areas.

Whilst Brasilia is interesting enough, the main reason for my visit was to visit my dear friend Fernando and to meet his lovely wife Lorena. After being in Brasilia for just 1 hour it started to rain - and didn´t stop for the next 4 days that I was there. They swore it never usually rains, I´m not convinced....

Anyway fortunately Fernando and Lorena have a car, so we were still able to get around and take a look at the place. On the first day Lorena took me around to see the main sites - the cathdral, the praça dos tres poderes, and the national congress building. I´d love to pretend that we had an educational of sightseeing - but to be honest we spent most of the the day nattering and having lunch! We then went to collect poor Fernando from work - and went out for dinner again. The people living in the interior of Brazil have a saying "Quando nao tem mar, vai pra o bar"...which means"when theres no sea, go to the pub"...so you can guess how I spent the next few days.....

On saturday I finally made it to a churascaria. Basically you pay a set fee and help yourself to extensive buffet bars. But the best bit is waiters come around with different bits of grilled meat. And you just keep eating, and eating, and eating......I recommend going on a very empty stomach.

The next day it was already time to leave for Rio. But it was great to have spent even just a few days seeing a very happy Fernandinho and making a new friend in his wife Lorena.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Fernando!Fernando!
Fernando!

A true Goiano


Tot: 0.134s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 13; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0918s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb