Heading North


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Ceará » Fortaleza
April 4th 2007
Published: April 4th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Big Mama in the PelourinhoBig Mama in the PelourinhoBig Mama in the Pelourinho

Thats me is Salvador, Brasil, with big mama (didnt like her cooking though)in the old pelourinho.
After clocking up the miles these last two weeks, finally in northern Brazil, in Fortaleza. Has been a crazy couple of weeks. Firstly, left Rio De Janeiro and headed north into the state of Minas Gerias (the old mining center back in 1700´s). Beautiful colonial towns like Ouro Preto, Sao Joao and Tiredentes..... very different from rio.... churches with bells ringing on every corner, all day every day. People were so friendly too.

From there we went back to the coast to Vitoria (one of the dreaded overnight buses...) and and continued north to Porto Seguro.... holiday destination to the brazilians, home of the lambada.... and with a street named "Alcohol Walk".... nice place but seen better beaches elsewhere. What I havent seen elsewhere is massive beach bars with crazy brazillians dancing the day away, samba, lombada, and just bopping around, all while perfecting their tan in their tiny bikinis.

A few caipirinhas (sugar cane rum cocktails) later we continued north again, with a flu in tow this time, arrive in Salvador, capital of Bahia state. Arrived at 6 in the morning (yes, another night bus) and to make things worse it was sunday morning, we caught a
Ouro Preto, BrasilOuro Preto, BrasilOuro Preto, Brasil

One of the many historic churches in the town.
bus to the centre and there were only dodgy people everywhere, beggers and street kids were following us, telling us not to go one way, too dangerous....another says the opposite...cops come and guide us to a dodgy hotel.. Stayed a few nights in Salvador in the Pelourinho (the old párt of town, lterally means whipping post, where those mean Portuguese people beat up their naughty slaves).... One night there was a street party for no reason at the site of the old whipping post.... was crazy drinks stalls and begger everywhere.... and people dancing to the samba on the old cobbled streets.... a mass of people were also following the local drummers, dancing behind like groupies!

Onward from salvador, to Maceio, and the antibiotics i was taking for the flu take a turn for the worst... i get a severe allergic reaction and have to go to the hospital... no one spoke english and I looked like a lumpy beetroot. By chance as I finally get to see the doctor, and ex english teacher walks by, then volunteering to be my translater..... 2 needles and some drowsy tablets later, I head down to the beach for some R&R.
Beach Party In  Porto SeguroBeach Party In  Porto SeguroBeach Party In Porto Seguro

The crazy Brazillians dancing in Porto Seguro.

North of maceio, went to Praia da Pipa, beutiful seculed beach backed by cliffs.... amazing....then to Natal the northeast tip of brazil, and now Fortaleza.

Heading west now into malaria country and soon up the amazon....


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

MacieoMacieo
Macieo

Picturesque beach on the north east coast.
Praia Da Pipa, BrasilPraia Da Pipa, Brasil
Praia Da Pipa, Brasil

Part of the isolated coastline.


5th April 2007

Go Lisa
Go Lisa Go (Do dada) Go Lisa Go (Do dada) Go Lisa Go (Do dada) Go Lisa Go (Do dada) Gooooo Lisaaaaaa..........

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0487s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb