Drums of Salvador


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Bahia » Salvador
March 5th 2005
Published: March 5th 2005
Edit Blog Post

3/3 Arrived Salvador early and it is BIG! Staying in a gorgeous Pouseda that overlooks the historical part of town. 2 minute walk down one alley and up another steep one and youre in the middle of the Poul, which is the tourist area, full of galleries, shops, restaurants, hotels but it has a lot of character, the buildings are well preserved and the people are lovely. Huge african population, so theres a strong culture of traditional dances, reggae etc. Liking this very much.

Spent the day walking along the port, through churches, dinner in the Jesus Square and crashed out, listening to the drums and music playing across the valley.

4/3 Spent the entire day in bed, had a swim, then watched the dance classes being held in buildings across the valley. Went to a completely crap and manufactured dance shows. The place was full of gringos, the food was gringo and the show was incredibly unprofessional. Best part about the night was the rollercoaster taxi driver we took back to the hotel. He was mad, nearly killed two people and us.

Crashed out by the pool with Caz and Daniel, listened to an amazing band somewhere across the valley and eventually went and found them. Five men in a teeny room but the acoustics were amazing as we could hear them across the valley. Stayed out listening to them until 4am. Best night, so far, so laid back.

5/3 Incredibly heavy morning rain. Woke up early, for some mad reason and headed out for coffee in the downpour, did a bit more shopping, then back to watch Bridget Jones and have another girly session. Luckily we headed back out because we found our favourite Acai, bitter fruit sorbet with granola and bananas. So yummy!!! Followed up with pizza and it was the best ever, so thin and with palm hearts and asparagus. MMmmmm!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0347s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb