Salvador and other Colonial Remains


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Bahia » Salvador
February 21st 2006
Published: February 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Salvador - Lower CitySalvador - Lower CitySalvador - Lower City

Very pretty and very dangerous - this was the closest we got!
It's not been all beaches over the last few weeks, we have done some culture too. Principally colonial remnants from when the Portuguese were in charge here. Salvador is Brazil's biggest party city after Rio and we spent a few days taking in the culture. It's a weird mix of European, African (big slave trade influence) and Brazillian. They were also warming up for Carnival so there were drums and dancing everywhere. It's also one of the most dangerous cities in Brazil so we practiced our big group walking, not taking out anything you can't afford to lose as we ran the gauntlet from our hotel to the area where the tourist police were on every corner. It was only 200 yards, but the stories were quite scary enough. But we survived and have honed our survival techniques ready for Rio (though they do say Rio at Carnival is as safe as anywhere else as there are so many police out on the streets).

After Salvador we continued down the coast to Olinda and Porto Seguro, both very pretty little old colonial places, with very nice beaches too. The ice creams were also quite cool and Olinda had pancakes to
The DrumsThe DrumsThe Drums

Morning, noon and night - they never stopped
die for!

We've also been up in the mountains doing some white water rafting, being eaten alive by some vicious bugs that actually drew blood as they munched, and visiting some gold and precious stone mines. All very good fun (except the bugs).


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

San Francisco ChurchSan Francisco Church
San Francisco Church

Very over the top ornate colonial church covered with gold inside
Coconuts for saleCoconuts for sale
Coconuts for sale

Big green coconut out of a big green coconut fridge
Lady of the LakeLady of the Lake
Lady of the Lake

Candomble religous statue
Slumming it in the mountainsSlumming it in the mountains
Slumming it in the mountains

Another tough day overlanding


21st February 2006

Slumming it in the mountains indeed
Don't think much of the 'Another tough day overlanding' Looks much too comfy and indeed clean. Glad your big group walking turned out OK. Also glad to hear there is some culture.
22nd February 2006

Salvador, dangerous???
I have good friends in Salvador, Bahai and have been there, oh, seven or eight times. During those visits my wife and I have wandered all over the city alone and have never encountered any problems of any kind. The only danger we were warned about was pickpockets. But then I have been warned about pickpockets in almost every city I have visited in my travels around the world. I hope you enjoyed your stay. We really love Salvador.
12th March 2006

Gold in them there hills
Hey Chris! So did you strike gold and stake a claim? We could do with a minibus for the club. Fantastic photos! They are making me feel even more chilly the weather in blighty is rubbish! Do you have any picutres of the interior of the San Francisco church? Keep having fun! Rich.

Tot: 0.145s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0851s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb